Broken Melody; A Day In The Life Of A Dork. Prologue

• Dedicated to Elly Johnston

Prologue

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Choking.

Bleeding.

Drowning.

Dying.

Dying. That's what I felt, dying.

The taste of the salty sea was bitter in my lungs, replacing sweet, sweet air with so much water my insides were unsteady. I breathed in, expecting relief, but water rushed down my throat, swallowing me, choking me. I was dragged down deeper and deeper into the darkness below. And that darkness scared me. Darkness brought back terrible memories, memories that were buried deep inside, memories that I never wanted to see again.

My instinct told me to fight, to fight against the current, to make my way back up to the top and live.

No, I told it. No.

Because I didn't want to live.

Blood drifted from the gashes on my wrists, my stomach. It made strange patterns in front of me. My struggles became weak, slow against the pushing. The angry sea dragged me down, down and lower away from the surface, from the light. The light I would never see again.

Never again would I sleep in my bed. Never again would I see the sun rise. Never again would I feel the sugary taste of ice-cream on my tongue or feel pen against paper. Never again would I laugh, or smile, or walk.

Never again would I see him.

The image of his face was clear in my mind, so clear that I almost jerked away. I didn't know if it was possible to cry while drowning, but I was doing it. I cried, I cried harder than I ever had before. I cried for life, for love, for him.

Everyone says that before you die, you see flashed of your life before your eyes. But I didn't see my life, because to see that would bring back the pain.

All I saw was him.

Carter Jard.