Chapter 24

Chapter 24

June 6th

The next morning, Tasha was glad that Adam had decided to spend the night. After yesterday, she wanted him to be with her. Tasha got up and washed her face, still thinking about wanting this to be over. It woke her up and now she didn't want to go back to bed.

Tasha returned to her room and opened up her blinds. She stood in the warm winter sun for a while until she was disturbed by Adam's groan. Tasha smiled at her boyfriend and walked over and gave him a kiss on the forehead.

"You look at less angry than yesterday," said Adam as he stretched.

"Yesterday was yesterday," replied Tasha, "and it's in the past now."

Adam smiled.

"And I plan on spending the whole day with you," Tasha finished.

Tasha and Adam were disturbed from their conversation when Adam's phone got a message.

Tasha managed to sneak a read.

It was from Mr Little:

Family emergency.

Come home now.

Tasha wondered what this was about.

"Um, Tash," said Adam, "I think I have a problem."

Tasha pretended that she didn't see the message, "what's wrong?" she asked.

"I don't know. Dad just texted me saying we have a family emergency."

"You should go, then. Find out what's wrong."

"Come with me."

"Me? Seriously? I don't think I'd be welcome."

"You are my girlfriend and my family. Please come. I need you."

"Okay, okay. Let's get ready."

Adam nodded and then tossed the covers back before he and Tasha quickly got ready. They rushed to get themselves ready and when they were done, they raced out to Adam's car, nervous to find out what was going. They quickly drove back to Adam's place and raced inside to find out what was going on.

...

Something seemed odd as Adam and Tasha headed inside. The house was quiet, and only Mr Little was in the lounge room.

"Dad," said Adam, "what's going on?"

"It's Stan. His girlfriend, Chloe, is in hospital," replied Mr Little.

"Why? What's happened?"

"She and her parents were in an accident. That's all I know. Stan is a mess. Your mother has taken him to the hospital now to be with Chloe."

"We should go," said Tasha, "Stan will need you all."

Mr Little nodded in agreement and then every headed back to the car. Adam was worried for his little brother. He was clearly falling in love with the girl he was dating and to have her in an accident would have terrified him. Adam would have felt the same if it was Tasha in hospital and he was the one going to her. He wouldn't want to lose her.

It didn't take long to get to the hospital and when Mr Little found a carpark, they raced inside. They found out which room Chloe was in and then made their way there hoping, that they wouldn't be intruding.

Adam felt so sad for Chloe and Stan when he saw them. Chloe was asleep, and Stan was right by her side, holding her hand tightly. Mrs Little was gazing sadly out the window, watching as the dark rain clouds rolled in. They looked gloomy, appropriate weather for a time like this.