Chapter 9

Chapter 9

March 29th

Adam couldn't believe that he would be leaving for Egypt in two days.

He also couldn't believe that today was the day that he had to go back to Sandy Beach High to talk to the year tens, elevens and twelves. He would have to repeat the same boring speech three times.

First up, Adam would talk to the year twelves, during period one, then he would talk to the year elevens, period two, and lastly, he would talk to the year twelves after recess, period three. It was going to be a long and boring morning.

Waking up at six thirty in the morning was bringing back memories for Adam because it was exactly what he was doing last year. The only thing that was different was the fact that he wouldn't have to catch the bus; he would drive himself. Stan would also be coming with him, much to his dislike. Stan had been going on and on about how embarrassing it would be to have his brother back at school when he finished last year. It didn't seem right and both Adam and Stan were glad that Stan was in year nine right now.

...

When Adam was ready to go, he called for Stan and said goodbye to his mother and father before he headed out to the car. It was funny saying that he was going to school and Adam thought that it was a phrase he would never have to say again.

Clearly he was wrong.

When Adam and Stan made it to school, Adam could swear that Stan made a beeline as fast as he could to his locker.

Was it that embarrassing to be seeing with his brother who had just finished school last year?

Wasn't it embarrassing when Adam was actually at school?

What was even weirder was the fact that Adam could actually go into the staffroom without being told off by a teacher. As he was making his way into the staffroom, Adam remembered that time in year ten when he walked past the staffroom and Mr Wilson told him off. Adam thought it was funny how Mr Wilson could sound so old when he was only in his early twenties at the time.

When Adam arrived at the staffroom, he saw a familiar face. He thought he recognized Matthew Smith as he was driving past the front of the school.

"Adam," said Matthew as he turned around.

"Hi, Matt," replied Adam, "I wasn't expecting to see you here."

Matthew clearly didn't like hearing that, "and I could say the same for you but here we are."

Adam lowered his eyes, "sorry."

"So, imagine this. The school actually called us back. Why would they call people like us back?"

"Us? People like us?"

"Yeah, you and me. We are very alike."

"Ah, I don't see how," Adam crossed his arms over his chest.

Adam was confused. He had never been friends with Matthew and he could not see how they were similar. But Adam had a feeling her knew where Matthew was going with this.

"Don't you remember all the parties you went to in year eleven and even in year twelve?" said Matthew.

"Of course I do," replied Adam.

"Well, then? We go so drunk, remember? And we had so much fun."

Adam subbed the back of his head nervously, "I actually don't remember," he liked.

Of course he remembered.

He just didn't want to remember. He was ashamed of the choices he made when he was at school, and he was ashamed of how he made Tasha feel. He wanted to forget about the choices he made and when he did, he was able to move on. But now this was bringing it all back and he remembered how bad he felt when he nearly ruined his relationship with Tasha.