Part 34

Part 34

"Uh, what did you just do?" I asked, eyeing the ruby piercing he was twirling in his hand.

"What does it look like I did? I removed the piercing," he answered, causing me to roll my eyes. Why did he have to give the most stupid responses at the worst of times?

"Uh..." I did not know how to phrase the question in my mind, so I decided to keep it simple. "Why did you do that?"

"Because of what you said," he stated. When would he understand that I was not on the same mental frequency as him?

"So I insulted you and that's why you removed the piercing?" I questioned. If that was the case, then I should've insulted him ages ago. Wait, I did do that but he chose not to listen to me.

"No. Not about that. It's what you said about me being similar to my relatives," he replied.

"And so you removed the piercing because I said you are marking your territory?" I giggled. "Cute."

His eyes narrowed and he pushed me further against the wall as if expecting the wall to open up to a secret cave. "I am not cute."

I grinned up at him. "Yes, you are. You are trying to pretend that you are nothing like them, but the truth is, you are. Renzo, you are like your family because you are related to them by blood—"

"Not to the bitch who killed my father," he snapped.

"No. Not like her. But, you cannot ignore the fact that you are like your relatives because you share blood with them. However, there is nothing wrong with that; it is what it is," I said, hoping he would not snap at me since he was already angry about Natasha running away.

He was silent for a while, a long while, in fact; just kept staring me right in the eyes as if waiting for me to tremble in fear and beg him for forgiveness for saying something I should not have said.

"I may be like them, but I am different from them, sugarplum." He paused and stepped back. "And as for why I removed it, well because I don't want to keep you as a property of mine. Well, I do, but I will do it in a different manner."

I blinked a few times, trying to understand his cryptic words. "What? How will you do it? And you just realized now that you don't want to keep me as your property?" This man was strange.

"Why? Do you want me to keep you, sugarplum?" He asked with a smirk, amusement glinting in his eyes.

I scowled at him. "Of course not. I am a free, independent woman. No woman likes to be treated like an object, so what makes you think I would?"

"Then why are you worried? Let's just get this Natasha mess over with and then we can get down to us," he stated before turning around and walking away.

"Us? There is no us!" I cried, hoping my loud voice would be enough to drive the message across. But no, I should know by now that I was dealing with a man who was as good as a wall. Why would he listen to me?

"Yeah, there will be once this mess is over. Ah ha!" I jumped at the sudden exclamation and watched as Renzo plucked a piece of paper from the wall. The piece of paper was expertly placed between two bricks, and not just anyone could've noticed it. So, Renzo really did know about his family. I hope he would be able to destroy them because I did not want him to live in this misery. If he blamed his relatives for being the cause of his father's death, then he would be living in agony if he did not do something about it. And even though I said there wasn't an us, I would still help him defeat those people. I did not like Renzo being in pain.

And since when do you worry about his pain?

I did not know when I started worrying about his pain. Was it a week ago? Two weeks ago? Three days ago, I did not know. I just knew that I would not be happy if he was in pain. Even though I hated him when I first got to know him, because let's face it, who would be happy being kidnapped and tortured by the Mafia? But as time went on, I started to see him as more human and less of a monster which I knew he was. However, when I started to see him, talk to him and observe him when he was around his family, that's when I understood that Renzo was just wounded.