Part 9

Part 9

Adone entered the cell a few minutes later. I tried to keep my tears at bay but upon seeing him, a fresh tide of tears washed over me, making me curse my sensitive heart for being weak at the face of adversity. I was not going to forgive Renzo for this. I would fight him to death if I had to. If he intended to break every single bone in my body, then I would make sure he worked hard for it.

"I think asking you how you are doing is stupid, right?" Adone asked. I only glared at him in response, holding my shoulder with my other hand. If I could have my way, the whole underworld of the Mafia would be going up in flames. I would destroy each and every one of them.

"Why are you here?" I asked him, making sure to saturate my words with venom.

"I am going to take a look at your shoulder. My jerk of a cousin has decided to kill you slowly and painfully by breaking one bone at a time, and I will try my best to thwart his plans by taking care of you. Now, if you don't mind, can I have a look at your shoulder, so I can fix it?" He replied, slipping on a pair of latex gloves. Why did he need latex gloves for fixing my shoulder I did not know, nor did I care; I just wanted my arm back.

"Then you will leave, right?" I enquired, letting him take a hold of my injured arm.

"If you want me to. I was thinking we could play a game of cards. I mean what will you do in this cell all by yourself, the day is still young," he responded.

My eyes widened. "You mean Renzo was serious about keeping me here?"

Adone gave me a sympathetic smile. "I'm afraid so. Even though I hate that he has you locked up, I cannot let you out; so I decided to keep you company in here." He caressed the top of my arm as he said this, making me wonder when he was going to work on my shoulder.

"This cell is claus—" I screamed at the sudden blast of pain as Adone moved bone to bone. I glared at him while killing him in my mind.

"There, all better now," he said, softly. "Now take it easy. No need to move around so much. Although I doubt you can move with your feet in shackles. But just keep your shoulder in check."

"You could've given me a warning!" I wanted to smack him on the head but I refrained, simply because I needed to take care of my shoulder.

"If I did then you would've been prepared and it would've hurt more. I saved you from a lot of pain; you're welcome," he clarified.

I rolled my eyes. "I wish you can get me out of here."

"Renzo can do that if only you cooperate. Since you refuse to do that, he will do what he does best," he stated.

"And what is it that he does best? Kill people?" I said, eyeing his red shirt.

"Well you got that right. If he doesn't kill you, which is highly unlikely, then he will destroy you to the point where you will do nothing but wish for death to claim you." Adone told me.

I allowed my head to rest against the wall as I thought about what to do about Renzo. I would never beg him, that was for sure, but I had to make him understand that there was no way he could break me. How far could I go to achieve this? And how hard would he fight to make me submit?

"Death would be better than submitting to him. Since he plans to kill me anyway, it doesn't matter if I beg him or not, because at the end of it all he will kill me," I argued.

"Maybe he will, maybe he won't," Adone countered.

"Has he ever spared anyone?" I queried.

"No." Came the answer.