Chapter 3

I sigh as I look at my frail body in the large mirror in front of me. Ever since my parents died a week and a half ago, I've suddenly lost the ability of doing anything. I don't eat, sleep, and I barely even breathe. I still haven't cried at all. I guess I'm still waiting for the camera crews to jump out and tell me it was all a sick joke on some mediocre tv show. I suppose they don't wait a week to anounce that it's all a big joke though, now do they?

A knock sounded on my door as I solemnly walked to it and turned the dingy silver knob, "Aurora, they're ready for you." Marcelle informed me. Marcelle was a nice older lady who worked at the police station. She was letting me stay at her house until my new parents flew in.

They flew in today.

I still haven't learned anything about them. What if I hate them? What if they hate me? What if they send me back?

"They will not do such a thing! I cannot believe you're even talking like that! They'll love you!" Marcelle exclaims. Did I just think out loud? I think I'm going crazy. That's probably the reason they'll send me back is because I'm insane and I need a straight jacket.

I felt my jaw drop as we pulled up to the house. "I think we have the wrong address," I say, looking at the mansion before my eyes. It was a large house with beige stones and a red colored roof. It had tall trees surrounding it, leaving room for the pool in the backyard. It was magnificent to say the least.

"Oh no darling, this is it." Marcelle clarified, slinging my bags out of the car one by one. Something about all of this seems fishy. My parents are supposed to be poor. That's the whole reason they gave me up! Did they win the lottery or something?