Chapter 2

"Wait.. so I was... adopted?" I cleared my throat, letting her words and my own sink in. "Yes you were Aurora." The officer says ever so lightly. I'm confused. Why is a detective or whatever she is telling me this rather than my own parents?

It's like she read my mind because she answers my question just as I thought it. "Your parents are dead, they died in a car crash just a couple hours ago" She spits, not even putting it into delicate or soothing words that people usually use for people who have just passed.

No tears came. It was just numbness. I used to think the numbness feeling was the aftermath of tragic events, but for me it is coming first. All I could do was stare. Stare into the distance hoping someone could stir back time. So this would have never occured and I wouldn't be surrounded by strangers in a tiny room looking like I've committed a crime with the bright light that was shining oh so brightly in my face.

"So what now?" I ask dryly, feeling the lump in my throat becoming thicker as I swallowed. I couldn't bare the thought of living with someone else. I grimace at the thought of foster care of living in a home with other children. As soon as those words came floating out of my mouth a smile was showing on everyones faces. I gave them all a confused look.

"Well, now the good news is tha--" I cut her off, "There's good news?" I spit out, baffled and quite unaware of what any kind of good news could come at me at the moment.

"Yes! The good news is that your real parents are going to take care of you!" Her words sunk in like knifes in the pit of my stomach. I don't know why this was affecting me this way. If anyone else found out they were adopted wouldn't they be thrilled to meet their real family? I suppose so. Then why am I... nervous? I don't even know if that's the right emotion. I think it's more of a mix of nervous and the fact that I'm still gutted over my other parents. Or should they even be called that? I think now I'd rather call them my keepers. Since I've been their big lie all the sixteen years of my life.