Chapter 19 - New Beginnings

Chapter 19 – New Beginnings

During the next few weeks I mostly focused on getting ready for college. Despite Kourtney not being back I’d moved back home just because I was tired of being away from my family after everything that had happened. I wanted to enjoy their company before I had to leave again.

I’d begun packing my life down in boxes and duffel bags alike. Anything I thought I might want or need while in college. I was aware that the space I’d be living in would probably be limited so I was trying to be sensible and therefore I quickly realized I had way too much stuff.

Skye and I had hung out a few times and in my opinion there honestly was nothing there. He was nice and all, but for the time being I figured I just needed a break from everything male. I just hadn’t quite figured out how to have that talk with him just yet.

“Knock, knock,” a familiar voice sounded from my bedroom door and I whirled around, a grin creeping onto my face.

“Kourtney!” I exclaimed and threw myself at her, hugging her for dear life. “You’re back! How was your trip?”

“Amazing,” she gushed and we sat down on my bed. “I learned a lot and came back with a lot of nice things too,” she admitted and I grinned.

“What about you?” Kourtney asked, “I hear you have had quite the adventure yourself.”

I grimaced at that. “Ugh, it’s a disaster. I mean I appreciate the part about you letting me stay at your place, but everything other than that was a massive failure.”

“Mom and dad told me some things, but I’m guessing there’s more to the story.”

“You’re not wrong there,” I agreed and launched into the tale of my summer romance that quickly had spiralled into something I hadn’t been able to handle. I didn’t edit anything out, having learned that I didn’t have to protect Chace anymore.

I told her everything including the debacle in Cabo, “But mom and dad do not know about that and they don’t need to,” I warned her.

She seemed to understand that. “I’m not going to tell them, but you know you could right? They’re more understanding than you’d think.”

“Actually,” I said, “I think they’re too understanding for their own good, but I don’t need them meddling in this I’ve taken care of everything myself.”

“So you say. I’m proud of you, Riley. I think that despite everything you’ve handled yourself remarkably well. Not everyone would’ve been able to do the same thing in your situation.”

That made my breath catch in my throat. “Thank you,” I said honestly, “I haven’t really thought about that, it was more of a necessity if anything.”

“It’s because you’ve got the courage of a Reynolds, a lionheart,” Kourtney winked at me.

I chuckled at that, “A what now?”

“A lionheart. It means that despite when things seem to be the worst they can be, when everything is at its darkest and you see no exit, you still pull through. There’s this little spark in you that keeps you going and so even though when you’re down in the mud you still keep going because you can’t help yourself. It’s because you’re strong, even when you don’t think you are. You can’t help it because giving up isn’t in your nature.”

“Huh,” was all I said as I mulled that over. I guess she was right, I hadn’t seen it as being strong. I’d just done what I had to do to save myself, but in some way maybe Kourtney was right, maybe that was a kind of strength instead of just letting it all continue. It certainly would’ve been easier to give into Chace, but it also would’ve been very painful in the long run.