Chapter 18 - The Spider's Web

Chace let me in without a word, instead he simply stepped aside and let me pass. I couldn't help but wring my hands together as I figured out what to do next, I hadn't really thought past this point. My pulse was going crazy, as was my mind.

A thousand things raced through my mind when I turned around to look at him. Every single memory of having spent time with him came rushing to the surface, the good as well as the bad. And again I was torn between the irrational sense of wanting to scream at him and wanting to kiss him. Chace had done something irreparable while in Cabo and it was that memory that anchored me enough to let me keep a semi clear head.

"Look, Chace," I didn't quite know how to begin, so I just had to try. "We really need to talk. Not just about what happened in Cabo, but just everything in general."

"If you came here for an apology, you're wasting your breath."

I sighed in frustration. "That's not... I mean, no, I'm not here to make you apologize, I know that's not going to happen. I'm here because I need to cut you out of my life." There. I'd said it. It had come out a lot more blunt than I'd thought, but it got the message through.

"Is that so," Chace didn't look like he was taking me seriously, "yet here you are."

"Yes, because I need to get some things off my chest."

"A phone call would've done that for you, even a text."

I frowned. Of course he had a point, but I also felt that this was something that needed to be done in person. "Stop doing that."

"I'm not doing anything, Smurf," he pointed out.

"Yes you are, you're twisting this into something that it's not like you always do."

Chace stepped closer to me and it suddenly got that much harder to think clearly. I stretched out my arm, my fist colliding with his chest, so that he couldn't get closer.

"No," I ordered. "I'm not here for your amusement."

"Oh come on," he murmured, his voice low, making me shiver. "You and me, we have something together. Something epic. When we're together we're like fireworks."

I wasn't going to argue with him there because I'd used that comparison to describe us on several occasions myself.

"You know..." I began, "I think I knew you were trouble when I first met you, but I couldn't help myself. Chace, you were, are, perfect in the worst way possible, like a fire I just had to play with. But I've gotten burned so many times now that it's time for me to quit you."

Chace chuckled. "Quit me? You make it sound like I'm some sort of drug."

In some ways he was. Because I always came back for more.

"You might as well be," I admitted. I dragged my hands across my face in frustration. "Ever since you and I happened everything has been chaos and I don't like the person I've become after being with you. So yes, I need to quit you. Because I've come to realize that nothing is going to change unless I make it happen."

"I see," Chace still didn't look like he was taking this serious and I wondered if he ever would. "This is still something you could've just done over the phone. This is a very one sided conversation, you don't actually need me to be here for this."

I grimaced at that because it was another jab at the way I did things, another wrong thing I was doing. Sighing in defeat I said, "I just came to tell you that whatever we had, it's done and over with. I won't bother you again and I hope you'll leave me alone as well."