Chapter 13 - Free Falling

Chapter 13 – Free Falling

“Can you at least tell me where we’re going?” I prompted feeling slightly nervous.

Chace however seemed to find this highly entertaining if I had to judge by the grin that was plastered onto his charming yet annoying face. “Nope.”

“Chace!” I scolded! “Tell me!”

“Relax, we’ll be there soon and you’ll see.”

He’d been saying that for an hour now and we were still driving. The fact that we were in a car and not on his bike had me wondering even more since Chace basically always travelled by way of his motorcycle. This was the first time I’d actually been in a car with him. He’d conned me into driving into Malibu to meet him only to whisk me away in a monster of a Kia with not much as a peep of what was going on.

For all I knew he was abducting me. Although that seemed very unlikely.

It had been five days of this. Five days filled to the brim of being with Chace, which was a lot more entertaining and less lonely than just staring at the apartment wall, waiting for Trix to get off work just so I could have something that resembled a life. It was also a complete one-eighty from what I had expected. Just because we’d made up and decided to let the chips fall where they may I hadn’t thought it would instigate almost a full week of The Chace and Riley Adventure Show so to speak, but I was loving it.

“Fine,” I grumbled and turned the music up, at least that made me feel as if I was in control of something. Chace’s hand found my jean clad thigh and he stroked it with affection. How could that not make me smile? Seriously.

I leaned over and kissed his cheek before letting my fingers intertwine with his, secretly I was rejoicing that this car was an automatic and didn’t have a stick. It made moments like these much more prolonged.

Chace raised our hands to his lips and kissed the back of mine before placing it in his lap, making me smile and avert my eyes out of the window.  I still had no idea where we were going and Chace eventually got off the main road and manoeuvred onto a dirt road.

I frowned and watched as the trees grew thicker and I could barely see the sky anymore. The dirt road slowly widened up until we arrived at a bigger patch of dirt that I guessed was supposed to pass as a parking lot judging by the other cars that were parked there.

He’d told me to dress comfortably and bring sneakers, but it didn’t exactly sink in until I got out of the car and smelled the thick scent of pine trees.

“Hiking? That’s your awesome escapade of the day, to get all sweaty and gross?” I couldn’t help the doubt that snuck into my voice, I was simply too caught off guard to edit myself.

Chace chuckled and put on his pilot sunglasses. “Trust me, Smurf. I have easier ways of getting you all sweaty than dragging you through the woods.” His words made a blush creep onto my face.

“The real surprise of the day lies at the top,” he declared.

The top. I squinted into the distance and saw a trail that led into the woods, if I had to guess I’d say not too far in it’d start snaking upwards. And I highly doubted it’d be a short hike considering we’d driven about two hours to get here.

“Don’t look so beaten down,” he wrapped an arm around me and started walking, forcing my feet to shuffle after. “Before you know it we’ll be there.”

Yes, and the sky wasn’t blue and the forest wasn’t filled with trees but rather piles and piles of marshmallows.

My lungs were burning from the sudden strain when I heard a scream in the distance. “What was that?” I asked, feeling panicked. Were there mountain lions here? Were we being attacked?