Chapter 9 - Emotional Roulette

"Could I have two caramel frappes with an extra shot and a cookie crumble frappe with soy milk?" I grimaced at the three-piece order, wondering if I'd gotten it right.

"What size would you want them in?" The barista asked.

"Oh," I looked over at the three sizes that were displayed, "Venti." The weather was so hot that might as well go for the big ones.

"What name should I put them under?"

"Just put Riley on all three of them." She nodded and started writing on the cups while I swiped my card. I went to stand with the other coffee drinkers that were waiting for their own jolt of the day.

Starbucks' line was a mile long and I'd had to wait fifteen minutes just to be able to place my own order. No doubt they were all ordering juices and frappes. I couldn't imagine someone being crazy enough to order warm drinks in this weather.

"Two Caramel frappes and a cookie crumble frappe for Riley!" A barista called and I practically leapt forward to claim my coffee. I put them all in a cardboard carrier and grabbed three straws before doing a fast walk through the mall.

The faster I got outside the faster I could enjoy my little calorie bomb and cool off a little.

"Your saviour is here," I announced as I walked into Trix's work tent. "This one's yours," I pointed to one of the caramel frappes and then picked up the cookie crumble one to give to Austin who was working in the tent next to Trix.

"Here you go, with soy milk," I told him before handing it over.

"Life saver," he acknowledged.

"I live to serve," I replied before getting out of his way as he had a customer approaching.

I practically ripped open the paper covering my straw before shoving it through the whipped cream. I took a large sip and relished in the cold caramel coffee flavour that filled my mouth, it was like heaven in a take away cup.

"Mmm, so good," I moaned as I leaned back in the chair Trix had set up for me in the shadows.

"This is why I keep you around," Trix said as she rested the cold cup against her forehead, "to save me on days like this."

I angled my chair so it was completely enveloped by the shadows. I might not get a tan, but at least I'd feel like I would be able to survive this day without melting.

"Have you talked to Chace lately?" Trix asked as she leaned on the table by the tent's entrance.

I pretended to be incredibly busy with mixing the whipped cream into my coffee. "Nope," I said without looking up, "but I'm over it. I can get a hint and four days without as much as a sign of life is loud and clear for me."

"Okay, because uhm..." Trix trailed off and I looked up in time to see her look a little uncomfortable.

"Spit it out, Trix," I told her.

"It's just that..." She gave a heavy sigh and said, "He's coming this way."

"Now?" I exclaimed.

"Right now, we're talking seconds."

I sat glued to my chair, maybe if I was lucky he wouldn't notice I was here. It sure was too late to make an exit without running into him.

"Shit," I breathed and Trix looked at me with sympathy.

Okay, so maybe I wasn't 'over it' over it, but I was getting there! Sort of, anyways. I wanted sink into the chair as far as it would allow and just let the earth swallow me whole.