Chapter 12 - The Crawl of Shame

Hope you're having a good Sunday, was in a good mood so decided to post an extra chapter! ^^ Enjoy and happy reading! x

Chapter 12 – The Crawl of Shame

I first heard the buzzer when I was squeezing water out of my newly washed hair. Cursing I hurried to wrap myself in a towel before running to the front door where the insistent buzzer kept going off.

I pressed the button on the intercom, wondering who on earth could be here at eleven in the morning. “Hello?”

“Smurf can you let me up?”

Chace. Almost by instinct I hit the button to buzz him in, but I regretted it immediately.

Chace Dugan was on his way up here now and I was clad in a towel dripping water all over the place. “Shit,” I breathed and ran back to the bedroom. I grabbed a pair of jeans that were thrown carelessly across the floor from earlier and tried to press myself into them. I hated putting on jeans while my skin was still damp, at that moment it might’ve just as well been latex, but right now I didn’t have much choice.

A knock sounded on the front door.

“Just a minute!” I shouted and threw a shirt over my head to then wrap my hair in the towel so it wouldn’t drip everywhere. Walking back to the entrance I noticed the trail of water I’d left in my wake earlier.

I drew a deep breath and unlocked the door. “Hey,” it sounded normal, casual and not at all as stressed as I was actually feeling.

Chace looked fresh, not at all like he had been out on a bender last night and he was carrying a bouquet of red roses.

“Can I come in?”

I stepped aside and let him pass before closing the door behind me. I leant against the wooden frame hoping he’d say something because I sure as hell hadn’t gotten to that point yet. I was supposed to figure that out after I’d gotten ready for the day, but I was kind of out of time now.

“I brought you these,” Chace stood in front of me and held out the bouquet, “as a peace offering. I know it doesn’t change much, but it’s the least I can do.”

Wow. Talk about an attitude makeover.

I took the roses and forced my feet to shuffle towards the kitchen, hoping Kourtney had a vase in there. “Thank you, they’re really pretty.” I found a glass vase and filled it with water before putting the flowers in and discarding the paper they’d been wrapped in. I thought I remembered vaguely something about how you had to cut the stem of the roses before putting them in water, but I was in no mental state to wield a knife at the moment.

I turned around to face him and then took the plunge. “Chace, what are you doing here?”

“Apologizing,” there was a satisfactory tone to his voice the way he said it, it was almost as if he was proud of the step he’d just taken. “I was a dick.”

“Yes, you were.”

“Well, don’t be shy,” he remarked.

“I’m just agreeing with you. Chace you treated me like I was nothing, heck less than nothing and when I wouldn’t agree with you, you told me to leave.”

He sighed and dragged a hand through his hair. “I know. I’m sorry, Smurf. I’d had a lot to drink, I didn’t know half of what I was saying.”

I stared at him for a moment, contemplating what to say or do next. Taking in his soft eyes I knew he meant what he was saying, but would it be enough? Stepping slightly closer to him I inhaled his spicy smell. Could I really blame him for things he’d said and done in a drunken stupor? Lots of people did stupid things when intoxicated.