Chapter 2 - Air Horns and Coffee Stains

Chapter 2 –  Air Horns and Coffee Stains

*Two Months Later*

I woke up to a loud banging on my door. I groaned and wrapped my pillow around my ears.

“Go away!” I mumbled into the thick pillow.

I heard the door open and Brody’s voice followed. “Mom said you had to come and eat.”

“I’m not hungry. Leave me alone.”

“It’s noon.”

“I’m on vacation,” I retorted.

A giggle escaped him, which made my defences flare. “You asked for it,” he said and suddenly the room was filled with a loud blaring sound that cut my eardrums into tiny pieces, making my ears bleed to death. I shot out of bed and dove towards the door; the sound died instantly. But the rugrat had anticipated it and was already on the run down the stairs, dropping his air horn in his flight.

I picked up the air horn and ran down the stairs and into the kitchen where he was laughing alongside mom. I braised myself from the sound and pressed the button, filling the room with the sound from hell.

The sound stopped when mom tore the thing from my hand.

“Okay, enough!” She said and placed it on top of the cupboards.

My heart was working overdrive from my rude awakening and I slumped down on a chair by the counter, trying to calm myself down.

“That was totally uncalled for,” I grumbled against the cold surface, my eyelids already sliding shut.

“Mom told me to do it,” Brody defended himself.

“Now, now,” Mom chuckled, “we had to get you out of that room somehow.”

“You’re both evil. I can see where he gets it from,” I said.

The smell of coffee made its way to my nostrils and I sniffed the air appreciatively, immediately sitting up and blowing at the hot liquid mom had placed in front of me. Brody climbed up onto the tall bar chair beside me and continued to eat his cereal whilst I dove into a freshly baked cheese scone.

“You should start your own bakery,” I mumbled through a mouthful at mom.

She shook her head at my manners and smiled, “I’ll just settle on keeping you fed for now.”

A weight settled onto my right side and I froze, mid chew, and looked down at Brody who was leaned up against my side.

“Do I look like an armchair to you?” I pinned him with a scowl and he sat up straight, grinning.

“You’re so cranky in the morning.”

“Whatever,” I mumbled. “If you want something to lean on go sit on the couch or something.”

Mom, who was so used to our sibling feud, ignored this and spoke as if we hadn’t just been insulting each other. “Your sister called, you should call her back when you can and could you swing by the hospital when you go out? Your father forgot his phone, and it would be nice to reach him without having to go through other people.”

“Yeah sure, I’m going to visit Trix at work soon anyway, I can do it on my way. If I can have the car for the day,” I added slyly.

She rolled her eyes in response, “yes you can have the convertible. But your father will kill me if there’s a scratch on it, so be careful!”

“I will!” I grinned, my mood lightning considerably. There was nothing like driving around in a convertible during the summer in LA.

“Where did you two get an air horn anyway?” I asked.