Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Ehma

Intense pressure. All around her. It permeated the corridor. Threatened the circular room ahead with its magnitude.

It was just a misunderstanding. A simple misunderstanding. He was clearly speaking to her. He clearly thought it was her. She reminded herself of this as her jaw clenched tighter and tighter with each step forward. It didn't help.

The question of how he could be so dumb, or why, wasn't a logical one. She knew that. It plagued her, nonetheless. How could he not know the difference?

Time had slowed to a crawl. She needed that. Needed time to compose herself. Mutinied or not, she had reclaimed enough control on the fabric of reality so that even the Void couldn't escape from her influence.

She was the center of tranquility as she peeled the slut's hands from his body. She would remain calm. Like a ship in the eye of the storm. Even if the world around her fell to chaos, she would remain at peace.

A gift then, for her Void Guardian. She made sure her knuckles carried the immense weight of her enlightenment, delivered directly into the whore's jaw.

The flow of time resumed, and she watched with satisfaction as the shadowy woman fled through a newly renovated exit. Stones from the interior crumbled to the floor in her wake. That was also satisfying.

"I thought it was—"

Her tension flared again. "Don't speak to me. Don't look at me. If you so much as breathe in my direction, I'll seal your penis in concrete and drop you in the ocean."

"It's a nice offer, but I'm gonna have to decline."

"Excuse me?"

"I didn't stutter."

He was testing her. He had to be. Trying to see how quickly he could piss her off, perhaps? If so, it was working. She gritted her teeth and forced a smile. "Please, do elaborate."

They shared an awkward silence. One where she could almost see him weighing his words. Weighing their merits. "What's the point if you won't listen?"

"My sentiments exactly," she said as she turned to the remaining Void Guardians sealed behind a barrier of deep blue.

"I came all the way here because I thought you were in trouble. I saw blood and—"

"And what?" She was at her wits end with this back and forth. Still, she turned to face him with hopes of putting it to rest once and for all. "Thought you'd come swooping in like Prince Charming. We already went over this, you're not—"

"Who gives a fuck about that? I know that I'm not a prince. I don't need you to remind me. I was worried about you, so I came."

"No one asked you to come. It's not like I need to be saved."

"So? I don't need a reason. I just wanted to see you again, but I guess I'm the only one who feels that way."

Their staring match had escalated into a glaring match. Did his left eye always twitch that way when he was angry? "You have no idea how I feel."

"Well, how do you feel, then?" It was apparent by the way he shifted uncomfortably that he had no idea what do with his hands. She could feel her own hands shaking with adrenaline, but unfortunately, he beat her to the punch in crossing them over his chest.

All she knew was that she didn't want this continue any longer. "You're just gonna ignore the question?"

"I don't know."