Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Karma

I leaned back on my elbows and weighed the situation as the Void Sentinel's hands rose far above its head. We were already in the sea of its shadow. I imagined that with the added height, it must have stretched on for eternity. Had Lauren really given up, though?

Dodge, duck, dip, dive, and dodge. That was an option. This wasn't a game of dodgeball, though, unfortunately. It was two steamroller-sized fists preparing to whack-a-mole us to death.

Fitting. In a morose sort of way.

The brief thought of using the shield I had back in the hotel crossed my mind until I shifted the purple energy bar under my health. Empty. Of course. "Hey, Lauren. Don't you think you should, I don't know, do something?"

"You're ruining my moment."

Her moment? That was kind of a selfish thing to say, wasn't it? I looked back, hoping I had misheard.

She continued to stand with her eyes closed and her chin lifted slightly. Like she didn't have a care in the world. Her pretty caramel skin seemed to glow. That, contrasted with her dark eyebrows and the even darker curls framing her face, gave her an exotic quality.

So, then why was I the only one bathed in a damn perpetual shadow? That part slowly registered. The shadows I sat in. The warm light that Lauren basked in. Even the long pause when the Void Sentinel's arms lifted into the sky. All clues for the stupid mortal.

I settled back into position and stared up at the towering mass of shadows. Fierce green eyes penetrated my soul from a head that had almost completely disintegrated. The arms were gone down to its elbows. The glow beyond was a menacing reminder. That had been me not so long ago.

A flicker of shadow. Only a split second. The light extinguished, and the gloom of Ehma's dimension resumed. The only visible difference was the vertical line of molten red drawn through the monolithic giant.

The weight of either side fought against the other. They twisted. They fell. Before either half-touched stone, all that remained was flakes of shadowy dust and the golden hue of the woman in its wake.

It was cool to not be dead. It was even cooler to have a front row seat to a deity showing her true colors. What wasn't cool was being in the middle of the silence that overtook the scene. I was the wrong person to bear witness to their reunion. I bit my tongue at the first interjection that came to mind.

This was their moment. It belonged to no one but them. I would very much have liked to portal-jump away. If only I could. Instead, I attempted to scoot away as silently as possible. The only question was who would be the first to break the silence?

"I knew it was you."

Lauren was the first to bite the bullet, but I still wasn't far enough away. The two women, however, seemed utterly unconcerned. Tera's lips cracked into the faintest smile. Lauren's face, however, carried the blankest stare I could have possibly imagined.

"I told you that I'd find you."

"You actually never finished your sentence."

"You knew what I meant."

"That's speculation."

"If you hadn't left my lotus blossom in the dirt, I would have been with you the entire time. I would have reincarnated right here by your side."

"I don't believe in reincarnation."

"Maybe you should start."

"Maybe you shouldn't sacrifice yourself so easily."