Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Karma

The wind howled and tore between us in icy bursts. I held her slender body against me, forcing something neither of us wanted as the lightning below decorated the contours of Ryoko's face. She was scared. That much was apparent.

It wasn't right. Kissing her like that. Using magic to drain her of her energy. What other choice did she leave me, though?

Seconds passed as I fought to overcome whatever plan she had cooked up. Finally, her resistance weakened. I could feel the fight in her dying and the tension between us melt.

Her hands were the first to relax. Her lips came next, the rough aversion becoming like warm silk against mine. Last, came the rest of her body as it eased tenderly between my arms.

It was done. My body hung weightless in the sky, held only by the thick tail coiled around my torso. For a moment, I allowed myself to relax as I took in the scent of Ryoko's hair.

The night was silent again. Even breaths played against my chest, her head resting beneath my chin. That was good. Not the way I would have used magic in my wildest dreams. But good, nonetheless.

The soft thrust of Ryoko's wings ebbed like the lightning below, then nothing. Our angle shifted, and my eyes jerked open. We were falling headfirst into a seabed of ominous clouds. Fuck.

"Fuck, fuck, wake up, fuck."

Ryoko only gripped me tighter as I shook her, oblivious to our impending doom. I should've known. My luck, no matter how good, tended to evaporate whenever I let my guard down.

My plan had backfired. Frantic in my search for a safety net, I opened the damn Interface and searched. Skills seemed a likely candidate, but I doubted whether there was any way out of the situation.

I wasn't sure how high she had taken us, but I prayed there was time. Fluttering against gusts of wind, Ryoko and her limp wings disappeared behind the opaque menus. Selecting the Skills menu, I fought against the panic knotting in my chest. One solitary new skill greeted me.

'Dragon's Fury: (Active) Karma gains the ability to fly like a Dragon God for a short period of time.'

As if in response to the situation, a notification flashed across the top of my field.

So, what the fuck is to be done when I'm about to plummet to my death?

I selected the notification, while making sure my grip on Ryoko remained firm.

Well... I can sincerely say that I'm surprised you made it this far, stupid mortal. Truth be told, you've essentially outlived your usefulness. However, I almost feel obligated to throw you a clue for helping as much as you did.

Whether or not you make it through this makes no difference to me. Why don't you go ahead and try out that 'Dragon's Fury' skill and see what happens? Just uh... you know, think the words. Vaya con dios, mi amigo.

P.S. If you want to ensure your daughter's safety, try to throw a little more effort into this.

The fuck does that mean? Be it a threat or just a friendly piece of advice, it made no difference. Our headfirst spiral past the island spelled trouble no matter how you looked at it.

I had assumed that The Island of Babel floated somewhere in the middle of the ocean, but I'd assumed wrong. Instead, the island floated in the sky far above it. Now, I saw the real abyss, an endless sea of black that reflected a glass moon back at us.