DECLINE ✆ 50

"MOM! WHERE'S my stuff?" I scream, obviously not in the mood for this

"MOM! WHERE'S my stuff?" I scream, obviously not in the mood for this. "Where's the food?" I ask, rummaging for it myself among the other bags.

I'm running late again, and I have to get to the awards in time because Dad will kill me if I don't make it. He's already there waiting, and boy are Dads impatient.

"Carla, we're late!" Brent whines, shaking my shoulder. "We're not going to make a detour for your sake!"

"Yes, you are! Mom, tell him!" I scream, looking for her upstairs.

She descends with a stern look on her face. I was going to comment on her beautiful dress, but it's too late now. She's on my bad side for the night.

"No, we're not," she says.

"Mom, you know it's a must. They're waiting for me at the organization."

"Carla, we don't care!" Brent shouts, adjusting his tie. "The sick kids can wait!"

I stop in my tracks, fuming.

"How dare you say that?" I snap, staring at him as he waves a careless hand at me. I shake my head, disappointed. "I promised that I'd bring them board games and food, and some medicine—"

Brent groans.

"For fuck's sake, Carla, can you not care for once? They have cancer, so what? So does a million other people. They don't need your help, especially every morning." He turns to look at Mom. "I keep telling you that Carla uses them as an excuse to ditch English class. That's so obvious. And you guys let her."

I gasp, feeling my heart breaking at his words. I dont recognize my brother. I know I've heard screams on the phone with his 'girlfriend' whom I've seen once at the party, but that doesn't mean he can lash out his anger anytime.

I grab his shoulder roughly.

"Is this because of your girlfriend? The one I spilled my drink on?"

Brent widens his eyes, gulping. He shrugs my hand off for the second time.

"N-No. Not everything is about girls. Stop assuming and let's get going."

"What's wrong with you, then!" I reach for his arm again desperately.

"Nothing!" He pushes me away, breathing heavily and seeming offended.

What the fuck?

Silence empowers the room. I can barely speak as my lips are getting dry and my lipstick feels heavy.