✆ 36

AFTER MRS ADDISON walks away, considering the bell has rung six minutes ago, a short figure suddenly appears in front of me, happy eyes boring into my awkward ones, fiddling with the hem of his shirt

AFTER MRS ADDISON walks away, considering the bell has rung six minutes ago, a short figure suddenly appears in front of me, happy eyes boring into my awkward ones, fiddling with the hem of his shirt. I look back for Mrs Addison but she's long gone.

When I've first entered the school, everyone was headed to class already so it was just me and the principal. So this guy has to be my first impression of this school.

I raise my eyebrows at the stranger and reluctantly smile at him, feeling like I'm about to babysit him for a whole year. And believe me when I say I don't like kids.

"I'm Brent," he tells me, and although he looks young, his voice sounds deep and charming.

"Hey," I greet him back whilst he extends his hand and I accept the formal gesture.

"I'm the chosen one to show you around." He wiggles his eyebrows with a smug look. I laugh for the first time today. Fortunately, he doesn't take it as an insult. "We have twenty-five minutes or so until our next class. We have to be quick."

I look down at him, nodding my head. As I'm about to start walking, Brent doesn't budge. I stop in my tracks, noticing he's still grinning like an idiot, making sure to double check me out every second.

I press my lips together, furrowing my eyebrows together. I'm not sure what to say at this point. "No."

His smile slowly fades as his bright, happy face contorts to confusion. "No?" He repeats.

"No," I say for a second time. "I'm not going out with you." I innocently smile, extending a hand towards the hallway. "Shall we?"

Brent seems to be getting shorter, his expression unreadable. "Damn," he whispers.

I start walking ahead randomly and he surprisingly follows, jogging in order to keep up with me. He elbows me. "How about friends?"

I glance at him and fairly notice his wide smile is back. "We can work that out," I grin. "Tell me. What's up with this school?"

"To be honest," he starts, dropping his hands inside his pockets. "This school might seem nice and all from the outside, but it's actually a living hell. Take it from me."

"Why did everyone go to class early?" I busy myself searching for any signs of human beings around, actually glad not to catch anyone in sight.

"We have to. Even before the bell. We're both an exception, today." He shrugs, cocking his head to the side, peeking at my bag. "Oh, is this your schedule?" He grabs a crumpled paper, sliding it out.

"I suppose." I look over his shoulder, and realise that it's indeed my schedule.

"Cool, you have your first classes with me!" He exclaims with obvious excitement, and I can't help the laughter that escapes me. "Look, here are the classes." He points at six green doors with numbers on them. "Upstairs reside the seniors and juniors, and downstairs the sophomores and freshmen. That's all you need to know for now."