✆ 35

I CAN'T GO to my first day of school with a Nokia

Especially on my first day. And it's high school. And my last year of school. How am I going to make friends with that old garbage?

> I can't go to school with an ugly phone.

< Sorry about that.

< How are you feeling?

< Ready?

> No. I need my phone, now.

< I could, but I'm running pretty late myself.

< Have a nice first day, love.

< I'll text you later.

> Oh, Gosh. It's all your fault.

< You're going to do great. Take it from a guy who doesn't give compliments.

•••

I look up suddenly to my father standing in the doorway, adjusting his elegant tie.

I gulp. My anxiety is kicking back in. What if I embarrass myself? What if I don't make friends? What if I sit alone?

My tactic is pretending to be confident when I'm at my lowest, but right now I can't pull myself together. This is my last year of school and I've got to pass it smoothly.

"Come on, Eva. You don't want to be late." He shoots me a lazy smile and grabs the jacket that was laying on the table.

"Of course," I sigh and pull my backpack on my shoulders. I stop in my tracks as soon as dad opens the door for me. "Thought I was going by bus?"

"On the first day of school?" He elbows me when I stop next to him. "They've got to know you're my daughter, first." He winks at me as he bends down to grab his suitcase.

"Sure, Dad." I stand up and walk past him, getting outside.

I close my eyes and shiver slightly as cold, windy breeze gently slaps my face and twirl my hair. Cold weather somehow makes me feel better. I take a deep breath.

Right now, the dry weather matches my mood.

I hop in the front seat and put my seatbelt on. The car feels warm, so I wrap my arms around myself to increase the feeling.