✆ 32

"EVALYN!"

"EVALYN!"

My eyes catch Ash's gaze, his hand waving at me as he stands up from his seat. I stop for a second as I spot him and a tiny smile spreads across my flushed face.

His blondish curly hair is the same as always, the exception is that it looks cut a little bit shorter than the last time I've seen him—and he still looks good.

I smile rather widely at him. I haven't seen him for ages and it's a foreign feeling for me really. He used to come over every day. It's baffling how two can be the best of friends then the next day nearly strangers.

   The excitement of catching up with a best friend you haven't seen in a while is indescribable.

Ashton has always been the easygoing type, that's why I made friends with him so easily at school. He's fun to be around, and the thing I like about him is that he treats people of different classes equally.

I make my way towards him as he opens his arms, waiting for me to accept the hug. I throw myself in his arms and he giggles.

"Same old, huh?" My voice sounds muffled as my head rests against his chest.

"Hi, stranger." He pulls me closer.

A beep coming from my cellphone makes me look up suddenly. I try to get out of his grip, but Ash doesn't budge.

I peek at the phone.

< Hands off each other.

I gasp and scoff simultaneously, my eyes widening, and accidentally push Ashton a bit too roughly away from me. Phone Stealer wasn't kidding. His honesty is going to be the death of me.

"Woah," he chuckles while stumbling, but keeps his balance steady.

I look at him, then back at the phone. I sigh and rub my forehead. "Let's have a seat so I can tell you exactly what happened."

"Oh, there's a story to it?" He sits down as he opens his laptop.

I gulp, look around again and sit down cautiously. I wonder where Phone Stealer is. "Yeah. Sort of."

My attention goes back to Ashton who's staring at me with a little curious smile on his face.

He shrugs. "I mean, I figured there must be a reason why you want to hack a phone." He eyes his computer, strictly focused on it.

I look away from his eyes and deliberately search the streets, looking at the people seated and sipping their drinks, wishing to meet Phone Stealer's eyes somehow.

I'm dying to know who he is.

"Uh, yes," I clear my throat. "It's personal. Like, a simple business thing, you know," I explain, trying my best to make it seem nonchalant.

He nods his head happily and clicks some more.

The Nokia beeps again, and I cringe at the sound. Ashton looks like he was about to ask about it but a roll-eye from me shut him up.

< A business thing?

< Does that mean we're partners in crime, now?

I don't even want to know how he's managing to listen to every word.

> Can you die for a second?

"Is everything okay?" Ashton asks as I hear the sound of his laptop turning on. "You look... concerned."

"Yes! I'm perfectly fine," I say but grump as it rings again. No, I'm not fine.

"Who's this?" Ashton nods his head at the phone and look back into my eyes with wariness.

"Ah, no one important." I shrug him off as it rings one more time.

< I heard that.

I huff silently and place the phone again on the table. Does this freaking thing have a mute button?

"Okay," Ashton trails off. "Whose phone you want to hack?"

"Mine," I casually say with a sarcastic smile, that is secretly for Phone Stealer.

"Yours?" He repeats.

"Yeah. Don't you know my phone's been stolen?"

I stop myself. Oh, holy crap. It totally slipped out of my mind. He doesn't know my phone's been stolen, or anyone else for that matter.

Ashton freezes and eyes me, uncertain.

███████████████████████

I don't even know how i should be in grade 10, like wat.

Update: I'm in grade 12 now. Omg. TIME, STOP.

Update: I'm in my third year of university hehe.

© All Rights Reserved 2021
Edited.