i fell in love with a very bad habit

"Maisie, I said I was sorry! What more can I do?" The girl in front of me doesn't have it, instead turning away as the anger completely takes over her.

"You're sorry? You are sorry? That's bullshit, Y/N and you know it! I can't believe you did this..."

"It was a mistake... I won't do it again, I swear!" I try to convince the girl in front of me, but I can't even convince myself.

"Oh please, a mistake is a one-time thing. A mistake is buying mustard instead of ketchup for a sausage sizzle. This was just plain wrong... it was evil. I can never forgive you. You've ruined everything!" I can feel my heart shatter at Maisie's words. I can't lose my best friend over this silly mistake. But is it really just a silly mistake? This is much more than that. I betrayed her trust. I've gone behind her back multiple times.

"Maisie please..." I try to reach out for her, but she moves away quickly, avoiding my contact. Her face contorts into one of disgust and I shrink back in fear. "You're my best friend..." I try one more thing, hoping this will convince her.

"Best friends don't do what you did, Y/N." She looks me in the eyes one more time before turning away for the last time. "Goodbye, Y/N."

--- one day earlier ---

"What took you so long?" I smile as Maisie rolls her eyes, linking arms with me as we walk out of the school grounds.

"Mr Peters wanted to have a chat with me," I inform her, stressing the name.

"Oh, yeah? And what did you and my father have to discuss this time?"

"Tsk, tsk," I click. "That's for me and the principal to know." Maisie rolls her eyes again as we climb into her car. She starts the engine, pulling out from the spot and driving us to her house.

Arriving at the large house, I still can't believe some people are privileged enough to own these. Maisie's dad has been working as a principal for twenty years now he definitely has the money to afford it.

"Is your mum home?" I ask, somewhat out of the blue.

"Yeah, she is today. Seemingly, a lot of her students quit after the new year. Something about music not being as important as it used to be? Apparently, music is not as important as math," Maisie grumbles her reply to me, and I let out a small giggle at the girls' frustration. Maisie's mum is a music teacher. She mainly works as a vocal coach, running her own clients, but she also teachers some guitar and piano on the side.

We both exit the car, moving toward the entrance of the big house with its double doors. It must be nice living as the ten-percent.

Maisie heads straight for the kitchen, and I follow her knowing she will want to eat everything in the house. That girl sure does love food.

"Hey, girls," I hear as we enter the spacious kitchen, and I look to my left to see Maisie's mum sitting at the island bench reading a book.

The Book Thief.

"Hey, mum!" Maisie replies, dismissing her quickly to search the fridge for anything she can take to her room.

"Hey, Mrs Cabello," I reply, choosing not to add in the '-Peter' at the end. Camila Cabello, or Camila Cabello-Peters as her now legal name. Maisie sure did get lucky in the gene department. Camila is flawless-absolutely beautiful. My eyes linger a little longer on her as I take in the cyan-blue, silk pajama top she is wearing with the matching shorts. Who can get away with wearing pajamas at three o'clock in the afternoon and still look perfect?

"Will you be staying for dinner tonight, Y/N?" Camila asks me, but I hear her hidden meaning. The woman gives me a meaningful look and I know I have no choice in the matter-not that she would be forcing me, but because I'm not strong enough to say no to her.