how it feels when the world's gone mad

The bell above the door of the pharmacist rings as I enter through its door. It's an all too familiar noise.

It's not like anyone will pay attention to me as I stroll through the aisle though. No one will walk up to me and ask how's my day and if I need help with anything. No one will wait in line for the cashier to swipe their items through and tell them how much their total is. No one will stand at the counter at the back of the store giving out prescribed pills to those who need them because there is no one here.

That's a lie. There are people here, but not for those reasons. I'm sure there's some lurking around the skirts of the store. But that's not my concern right now. My concern is finding the right pills to help cure this cough and headache of mine.

I've swept through these same aisle countless times. No one else really comes through here. I've made a point of barricading the doors so no one can come in here. This is my place. My store. My supply chamber.

"Where the fuck?" I mutter under my breath as I skim through the row of medicine. I swear just two weeks ago I saw the cough syrup sitting right here along the shelf, untouched and ready at my disposal. "Where the fuck did it go?" I say out loud. There is literally no place this thing could have gone. I may live in a world where the impossible has become possible, but no way can a glass jaw grow legs and walk the fuck out. No way.

The sound of glass smashing against the tile floors makes me turn around and whip out my rifle as I aim it into the darkness. I turn on my headlight, checking both left and right and finding to sense of disturbance. I turn quickly, grabbing the antibiotics from the shelf across from me before hiking it toward the front door.

I weave my way through the aisle, making sure to keep my footsteps light across the tile.

Movement catches my eye a second later in between two aisles. I immediately duck and run to the aisle ahead, covering my body as I squat on the ground. My rifle is back in position as I aim it at where I saw the movement.

The suspense kills me as I wait for the creature to make an appearance. I've never liked having to kill them, I mean, they were once humans too. But a girl has got to do what a girl has got to do. If that means killing a stranger to stay alive, so be it.

Footsteps sound and I hold the weapon in my hands even tighter. My fingers strain as I clutch it with my life, reading to land my pointer finger on that trigger.

In second the figure steps out from the darkness and I raise my weapon to shoot straight at its head.

"Woah, whoa! Hold your horse's stranger!" My eyes widen as I stand from my position and step backward slowly. "I didn't mean to scare you."

My hands shake and my fingers feel numb as I look at the person ahead. The human ahead.

"Y-You're..." I trail off, my voice wavering as I look into her chocolate brown eyes.

"I'm, what? Wait, is there something on my face?" The girl digs into her pocket and I raise my weapon higher, pointing at her head again. She pulls out a... mirror? "There's nothing on my face, what are you talking about?" She accuses, shoving the object back into her pocket.

"I-I... I didn't- you're a... oh, fuck..."

"Are you going to, like... faint or something? I don't know CPR." My eyes blink rapidly as I stare at this girl. She's clearly Latina. Her features defiantly do her justice. She is beautiful. Even with everything going on in the world, she still manages to look amazing. How?

Her eyes roll as she walks toward me. I slowly lower my weapon as my mouth parts slightly. I probably look like fish trying to gasp for air.

"Is it because I'm hot?" She asks the question shyly as if the question itself doesn't scream confidence. "You're-ah. You're also very beautiful... if that helps. I haven't seen another girl, let alone someone so beautiful, besides my best friend, for a long time..." she trails off shyly once again. Who is this girl?