Chapter 18: Gwen, the Maid

I took an invigoratingly long bubble bath. I scrubbed my tired feet and had a chamber-maid massage my exhausted back. I thanked her after she performed her duty. I felt soothed, relaxed.

           I then braced my hands on either side of the marble tub. I took a deep breath in, and immersed myself into the bubbly water. Living with Aquatica has taught me to breathe well underwater, though not well as she.

           I stayed underwater for several minutes. But of course I had to pull my self out. My hands tightened around the sides of the tub and I pulled my head out. I took several deep breaths to recover the air I lost. The poor chamber-maid was frightened half to death.

           “Oh dear! I thought you will never come out.” Gwendalyn exclaimed.

           “Do not fret, Gwen. Aquatica trained me to breathe underwater for a while. Not as long as she can, though I know that it is enough.” I reassured her.

           “Alright. Try not to do that again in my presence, Your Highness.” She wagged a finger at me.

           I chuckled at that. Gwendalyn was a woman of old age, about late 80’s to early 90’s. She served many a Hampshire before, and insisted that she would not retire, for me and my sisters were, as she has said, her “little angels.”

            While my mother tended to the matters of the war directly after my birth, Gwendalyn took care of me. She nursed me, played with me and she often taught me a few new things. My parents were of course responsible for my primary learning, and Gwen only showed me how to call my parents, and my relatives.

            She is a very wise woman. She is included in the very few servants that can read and write well. Why, she even taught the other servants to read and to write.

            Gwen was a second mother to me and my sisters. She took care of us while our parents were away, taking over the matters of the kingdom, wars and foes.

             She still takes care of us, even though we are now fully capable of handling ourselves.

             Since she has done the Hampshires good for a very long time, her clothes are made from fine muslin and brocade. Though she doesn’t prefer the exceptional clothing that she is made to wear, our family insists on it. She does, however, get to sneak off with wearing shabby clothes when our parents are away.

             “I cannot believe that my first angel is to be married soon!” she exclaimed in a French accent.

            “Child,” she said, dragging a wooden stool towards my tub and then sitting on it. “Do not forget about old Gwen. Even when you have a child of your own, a family of your own.” She smiled, but tears were evident in her eyes, even though wrinkles covered most of her eyes. Her eyes, if I remember correctly, are a beautiful hazel. Such a shame that old age covered them up.

            Tears welling up in my own eyes, I told her, “I will never forget thee, Gwen. Neither will any of my sisters. You were our second mother, the one who cared for us while our parents were handling business. And you still care for us.” She had leaned over to give me a warm embrace. She smelled of lavender and vanilla, since she was the one who prepared my bath.

             “No one who is not a relative ever cared as much, Gwen. You will be in our hearts forever.” I whispered as I felt hot tears scald my shoulder.

             “Thank you child. If I ever pass away, I will include in my prayers that you and your whole, beautiful family will fare well for the rest of your lives.”