Chapter 20: Nightmares

I ran down the hall of the castle, my heart beating louder than anything else. Footsteps were clear behind me as I descended down the flight of stairs. It was eerily quiet, the sound of my heavy breathing and my loose footsteps were the only sounds present.

Looking back I immediately regretted it. His soulless blue eyes were now an even darker shade of blue – almost black. His eyes dug deep into mine, actually scaring me. For the first time in my life since the accident – I was scared.

I flung my arms back, ice forming around the spot I have been mere seconds ago. Hoping that it was enough of a diversion, I stopped to catch my breath.

My eyes widened and my breathing hitched as I felt his breath down my neck. His venomous laugh echoed against the walls. I shuddered, hating how he was making me feel. Just like how I felt when I thought Jeremiah died.

I closed my eyes shut and silently sent a prayer to whoever was listening to me. I cried softly as I felt his cold hands envelope around my arm. I struggled as I could feel his other hand move around my back, my waist, and my shoulders.

He let go of me when a soft whimper escaped my lips. Raising my hands, I expected ice to form around him but failed when my arms drooped. Chi-blocked.

I collapsed on the ground as he moved swiftly, hitting me from my thighs down to my knee. I bit my lip and kept back a scream as the pain ran down my entire body.

“Goodnight, sister.” I heard his soft whisper as a single tear rolled down my cheeks. I took in a sharp breath as I sat upright, sweat coating my face. I was breathing heavily, scared to death

. Scared. I had forgotten how it was like to be scared. All my life I had set up a thick frame, showing others and myself the bravery I never possessed. I brought my knees up to me chest as I sobbed into my warm blanket. Covering my face with my hands, I finally realized how much of a threat Michael could be.

Every night I’ve had these dreams. Nightmares. And much to my horror, in each one of them Michael would be chasing me and in the end, winning.

I shook my head as I wiped the tears with the back of my hand. I can’t show how afraid I am. I couldn’t. I wouldn’t.

After making sure I was composed and didn’t look like I cried half the night, I got up from bed and went into my bathroom. I went out of my room fully clothed, hair freely flowing down my back and for the first time in days I felt like human once again.

I felt like I hadn’t cried to myself every time I woke up from nightmares. I felt like the fight would never happen, like it was peaceful once again.

Looking out the window I saw Amber helping up Adrian to the gate. The sight of Amber happy and smiling made me smile, too. I closed my eyes, remembering what happened after her encounter. I looked down at Amber, feeling lost and hurt. For the first time, Amber looked...broken. Like a broken little girl. I took her in my arms, embracing her with all I had, not caring how much blood stained my dress once more. I was her older sister. I had to take care of her.

After drifting off into that flashback, I bumped into something hard and out of instinct, I did a handspring. Not many know this, but my parents made me learn gymnastics.

Once I landed on my feet, I wiped my hands on my dress, trying to flatten it down. Looking up I stared into Jeremiah’s blue eyes and everything just seemed to vanish. I smiled at him, thankful that he didn’t die in the fire. Tears brimmed my eyes, and I was just as ready to let them free. I rushed into his arms, silently crying and whimpering into his chest.

“Ssh....ssh, It’s alright...” Jeremiah said, telling me sweet nothings. He didn’t even ask what was wrong and did what he thought would make me feel better. I was lucky to have him. After what seemed like ages, Jeremiah managed to calm me.

He led me to the gardens where I was ready to tell him what happened. The worry, the anxiety, the nightmares. It was time to let it all out. I didn’t have breakfast and thankfully no one asked why.

Everyone as busy with something. I went up to Amber’s favourite tower, craving the much needed fresh air. After climbing the handful of steps, I breathed in feeling relaxed already.Once I reached the door that led to the hallway, I let out the breath I didn’t know I was holding. That dream would scar me for life. I will fight Armando tomorrow. No matter what it takes.