Epilogue

Three Years Later

    Alice skipped up the steps of Simon's steps and knocked on the door, rocking back and forth on her heels as she waited for her brother to open the door. After only a few seconds, she checked her watch and huffed when the door didn't immediately open.

    She knocked again. "Simon, hurry up! We're going to be late!"

    The door swung open and the moment Alice looked at Simon's outfit, she burst out laughing.

    "What's with the bowtie?" she asked, pointing at Simon's bright red bowtie that clashed with his pastel yellow dress shirt.

    "What? It's not that bad, is it?" He reached for the bowtie, immediately fiddling with it as a shade of pink crept up his cheeks. "I don't have a regular tie, and I want to look nice today..."

    Alice narrowed her eyes at Simon as she walked passed him to enter the house, taking in the smell of lemon cleaner the rooms always smelled of.

    "Why do you want to look nice for the third year anniversary of my boyfriend's bar?" Alice asked, trying to contain a snicker.

    "I don't want to look nice for Isaac," Simon corrected quickly. "I want to look nice because... well..." he rubbed the back of his neck, "I'm going to ask Elizabeth if she wants to move in with me."

    Gasping, Alice covered her mouth and jumped in the air. "Oh my god! Simon! Are you serious!?"

    "Yeah..." Simon mumbled at the ground but couldn't hide the small smile growing on his face. "We've been together over a year, after all, and I don't know... I really think she's the one. She's nothing like the other girls I've been with."

    "Aww, Simon," Alice gushed with her hands clasped at her chest. "Well, you know that we all love her. Ah!" She hopped in the air again. "I'm so happy for you!"

    "And better yet, she's worked for Isaac for over two years and thinks he's a pompous moron who looks like a sewer rat, so I don't have to worry about the whole... 'Isaac stealing my girlfriends' curse."

    Alice snapped her fingers together and pointed them at Simon, clicking her tongue. "I resent that, but heeey, whatever makes you happy!"

    "Nah, he seems pretty into you. I don't think I'd have to worry about it," he said, making Alice smile widely. "But it does feel nice knowing she doesn't even find him attractive."

    Alice chuckled at her brother.

    Over the years, Alice couldn't express the gratitude she felt towards Simon's acceptance of Isaac. Still, Simon didn't particularly like Isaac, but he tolerated their relationship.

In fact, there was even one chilly winter night where Simon had a few too many pints at Isaac's bar while waiting for Elizabeth to finish her shift. As he sat at the bar with an empty glass in front of him, he drunkenly thanked Isaac for treating Alice with so much respect and admiration and for introducing him to his new girlfriend. He even told Isaac that he wasn't that bad of a guy.

Simon continues to deny that this interaction ever happened.

"Okay, take off that bowtie, and let's go!" Alice ordered, returning to the task at hand. "The taxi is waiting!"

"Alright, one second," Simon said and turned his back to Alice, leaning his hands on the banister of the staircase as he bellowed up the stairs. "Mark! You lazy asshole, hurry up! The taxi is here!"

"Give me a minute!" Mark barked back from down the stairs.

Simon rolled his eyes and crossed his arms. "God, you have no idea how great it'll feel finally kicking Mark out if Elizabeth says yes."