Fourteen Part 2

A/N: Not gonna waste time, HERE'S PART TWO!

_________________________________________________

Alice's phone vibrated in her pocket.

"Shoot," she muttered and peelled her eyes from Isaac to grab her phone. It had been hours since she last replied to Mark. The letters of the message scrambled around the screen and she squinted to focus her vision.

    Finally, she decoded the riddle.

    "Helloooo??? I thought you weren't going to be out late??? It's past one....lol."

    "God, leave me alone," she groaned and shook her head as she expertly and elegantly tapped her fingers across the screen to type, "Soory bab lool!!! J Emly wanted anther round b home soon <3 <3."

    It was only a white lie. There was a point during the night where Emily did indeed want another round. She flipped the phone over on the table and raised her gaze to find Isaac stifling a laugh.

    "Trouble in paradise?"

    "Shut up, Isaac."

    "I'll take that as a yes."

    "No, no. Everything is fine," she said as she leaned her elbow on the table and rested her chin on her palm. A small pout formed on her mouth and she let out a long, drawn out sigh, before exploding.

    "I don't get why he's so paranoid and clingy and weird now," she said. "When we dated before he didn't give a fuck about what I did..."

    "That is truly an ideal trait in a partner."

    "You know what I mean," she said before glancing at the clock. "He's right, though. I should be getting home. It is late."

    "Yeah, it is..."

    They sat there in silence, both staring at their hands clutching onto their glasses. Isaac's fingers drummed the side of his pint right and his foot began to twitch, bobbing his knee up and down. Alice glanced out the windows, watching the snow elegantly falling to the ground. She didn't really want to leave, but she knew it was the right thing to do.

    Just as she moved her arm to grab her coat, Isaac scrunched his eyes shut and brushed his hand against her wrist. "Hey, can I ask you something?"

    She dropped the coat.

    "Sure."

    "Why are you dating him again?"

    Groaning, she slumped into the chair. "Oh my god, I don't want to talk about this with you."

    "Why not? It's an honest question."

    "Yeah, but it's stupid because nothing I say is going to make a difference in your opinion of him."

    "That's true," he said. "I think the guy is an idiot, and nothing is going to change that. But maybe you can help me understand why you're so smitten with him."

    "Why does it matter?"

    "It doesn't matter," he said. "But I'm curious. Maybe I want a better understanding of the female's mind. Please, enlighten me."

    "God, you're annoying," she said, rolling her eyes. "But fine. He's nice, and attractive, we have a lot in common – "

    " - Like what?"

    "Well, we both like..." she trailed off and bit her lip. She and Mark had tons of things in common! Alcohol was merely blurring her memory. "We both like watching movies."