Thirty Five

"Oh my god, your place is way too bright," Alice groaned as she walked out of Isaac's bedroom, shielding her wincing eyes. The beams of sunlight poured through the large windows, which replaced nearly every wall of the apartment, and drove through her skull. "How the hell do you wake up to this every morning?"

    "You get used to it." He said, pulling a grey cotton t-shirt over his head and walked across the open-space apartment. "Hey, here's your shirt."

    Hanging off the side of the massive television was Alice's silk yellow tank-top from the night before. He paused for a moment to grin at the shirt before tossing it to her across the room.

    "Thanks." She caught the shirt and pulled it on, feeling almost strange to be fully dressed for the first time all morning. Despite being nude earlier, it was as though they were clothed by the fantastical atmosphere that always accompanied a successful hookup before returning to reality. Now that she stood wearing the liquor-stained clothes from the night before, in the middle of Isaac's apartment, it was time to confront the hormone-fuelled complications they were willingly entering.

While Isaac was busy cleaning up empty beer bottles on the glass coffee table, Alice was rubbing her palms together, clicking her tongue, and taking in her new surroundings.

It had never really dawned on her that she had never seen Isaac's apartment before. Since the day they started spending time with each other, there was some sort of unspoken rule that Alice's house was the designated meeting space.

    Now that she saw Isaac's apartment, she had no idea why.

    "Isaac, your place is...beautiful..." she said, slowly stepping towards the large windows that stood between her and a large wrap-around balcony. The suite was on one of the highest floors of the building and stood taller than the majority of the skyscrapers in the downtown core.

It was a truly breathtaking view. If she squinted hard enough, she could even see her office building peeking behind a shopping mall.

    "Yeah, looks a little different in the daylight, huh?" he said from the kitchen. "Want some breakfast? I've got bacon, eggs, and coffee."

    "What?" She forced her eyes away from the skyline to Isaac. "Oh, yeah. Sure."

    As Isaac dug around inside the refrigerator, she made her way to the living room and trailed her fingers along the black leather sofa that sat upon white, plush carpet. There were no walls that separated the kitchen from the living area, however, the contrast of the white carpet against the dark hardwood flooring of the modern kitchen made the rooms distinguished.

    Even though Alice was marveled by the spacious, extravagant apartment, she did notice something was missing.

    Or, rather, a lot of things.

    "Hey, Isaac?"

    "Yeah?" he asked, placing a frying pan on the countertop stove which was built into a large kitchen island.

"Why don't you have any..." she started, before scrunching her nose at the apartment, "furniture?"

"What are you talking about?" he asked. "I have lots of furniture. That is a couch that you're touching right now, afterall."

"Yeah but..." she said and walked to a huge empty space across the room and held out her arms. "This place is huge! You've got no decorations or anything!"

"All my walls are windows," he said, placing the bacon in the frying pan. "Can't really hang up any pictures."

"You could easily fit a pool table right here, or turn this space into a nice little office," she listed off, pacing around the area. "Or at least a dining table. All you've got is a couch, a TV, and a few barstools."