Forty-Nine

Tick. Tick. Tick.

With every minute that passed and Isaac still hadn't knocked on her door, Alice felt herself grow more anxious.

Maybe he wasn't going to show up at all.

Maybe he wasn't rushing off the stage to run to Alice's. Maybe Alice was the last thing on his mind.

It wouldn't be that unbelievable.

The guy just quit his job on national television, after all. It would be understandable if he was a little preoccupied with the fact that he had just completely altered the rest of his life in front of thousands of people.

A sinking feeling pulled in the depths of Alice's stomach.

Isaac quit his job. Isaac threw away the most important part of his life...

Was it all so he could be with her?

Alice drove her fingernails into the arm of her sofa, feeling her heart race even quicker than it had been.

That was too much pressure!

How would she ever be able to fill that gaping hole in his life? Sure, she loved him, but her love wasn't enough to fulfill all of his needs! 

Did Isaac even love her? He never actually said the words. Was she just being cocky right now?

Maybe his subtle whimsical hints during the press conference weren't even about her. Maybe it was directed towards someone else?

"Shut up, Alice." She groaned and pulled at the ends of her hair, throwing her neck back.

Regardless of what the hell was happening, Isaac needed to hurry up with an explanation before her head exploded.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

"Oh thank god," Alice muttered and jumped off the sofa, rushing to the door.

When she whipped the door open and saw Isaac standing in front of her, she froze.

He looked rather coy and sheepish, with his hand massaging the back of his neck. Their height difference forced Alice to crane her neck to make eye contact, finding herself entranced by his blue eyes swirling with emotion. A part of her wanted to throw her arms around his neck and press her lips to his, letting the passion building up inside of her overtake them both, but instead, she remained frozen aside from her blinking eyes.

"Hi," Isaac finally said once it became apparent Alice wasn't going to initiate the conversation first.

"You quit your job!?" Alice blurted out, practically shouting at Isaac's face, and she cringed at herself for not having a filter. 

Isaac pulled his neck back, startled by Alice's abrasive response. "Yeah... umm... can I come in?"

Alice silently moved aside so Isaac could walk through the doorway. Her narrowed eyes followed him as he took a seat on the couch. It was obvious that Alice's incredulous stare was making Isaac uncomfortable by the way he rubbed the palm that wasn't constrained by his sling on his thigh.

"Are you alright?" Isaac asked and Alice finally broke her stare and shook her head.

"Sorry, yeah, I'm just..." she ran a hand through her hair. "I'm a little surprised, I guess. I... I wasn't expecting this."

"Yeah..." he said and looked at the ground. "I know it's pretty surprising."

Alice tightened her arms over her chest and slowly walked towards the couch, taking a seat beside Isaac. Fiddling with her thumbs, Alice tried to properly organize her thoughts before speaking so she wouldn't trip over her words.