Deaf - Jonah Marais

Y/N's POV

I'm deaf, I have been since I was born. That has always separated me from the crowd, I couldn't talk, hear, and I always had an interpreter following me around the school. I get teased a lot, and when I say a lot, I mean it. They tease me for using my hands to speak, and how I mouth the words I'm signing even though nobody can read lips. And it breaks me inside, knowing that I don't fit in and never will.

I met up with my best friend, Jonah, in the cafeteria at lunch, he's the only person that understands me, and he can also speak sign so I don't need my interpreter during lunch hour.

'Hey! What's up?' He signed.

"Not much, just got finished with history, worst class ever' I signed with an eye roll. Jonah laughed then smiled at me.

'Do you want to come somewhere with me after school?'

'Depends on where that place is' I signed with a playful expression.

'Well, you're going to have to wait and find out' he signed with a smirk.

'Ok then, I'll meet you at the gate after school'

'Sounds good'

*after school*

I found Jonah at the gate and he smiled at me.

'Ready to go?' he signed. I nodded then we both got into his car, then he started driving to this mysterious place.

When we arrived we were at a park, I got out with a puzzled look on my face. 'Just trust me' he signed. I nodded then he brought me closer to the bench, where I now saw flowers, a sign, and a small box. He pointed to the sign and I read it in my head.

'You're such an amazing girl, you're sweet, funny, caring, kind, everything. Ok, this is just to distract you, now's a great time to turn around' I read. I turned around and saw Jonah holding the flowers in his arm.

'We've known each other for what feels like forever, even though it's only been since freshman in high school, we've been through a lot together, and I learnt sign which is pretty cool' he signed. I laughed a little bit and his smile grew even bigger. 'And when I first met you I didn't know what love was, I always thought it was just someone who takes your heart and loves you, but it's a lot more than that, it's someone who will accept you for you and who always has your back, someone who will always be there when you need them and they will always be there to talk to. Love is something that you treasure, something that lasts forever. And I love you y/n, I have for a while'

'Jonah. I don't know what to say' I signed slowly.

'If you don't feel the same, it's ok' he signed with a caring smile.

'No, no, I like you too, it's just' I paused.

'Just what?'

'What will people think of you? You'll become the kid that's dating the stupid deaf girl, the kid who was stupid enough to even like her. People will think completely different of you and' I was stopped by a pair of soft lips on mine. I kissed back and wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling myself closer to him.

When we pulled away he smiled.

'I don't care what they think' he signed with a smile. 'If we're known as the stupid sign language couple then who gives a crap? As long as we know that we're real people, then we're fine'

I smiled at him then he started signing again. 'Will you be my girlfriend?'

'Yes, of course' I signed back. I hugged him tightly and he kissed the top of my head. When we pulled away we both had huge smiles across our face.

'I love you Y/n' he signed.

'I love you too Jo' I signed back.

*at school the next day*

Jonah and I walked into the school holding hands, people started whispering to their friends and they gave us glares. I started tensing up but Jonah squeezed my hand, I looked over at him and smiled.

'Let's show them what we are' he signed. He brought his lips to mine and pulled my waist closer to him. We both smiled into the kiss and I could feel eyes on me from all around, but all I cared about was me and Jonah. Only us.

*10 years later*

Jonah and I now have a beautiful daughter, Lillian, she has hearing issues but they can be fixed with tubes luckily. (A/N before you comment saying 'oh tubes can't fix a hearing issue' yes they can, I was almost deaf as a baby but I got tubes and I heard perfectly) Jonah and I loved her more than anything in this world, and we're one big happy family.