day twenty-seven

day twenty-seven - outcast

(may be triggering probs not but just a lil warning)

☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹

As I walked to the elevator, I hoped I wouldn't bump into Calum. First of all, it would be awkward, because I wasn't positive if we were friends again, and second, last time when I was stuck in a situation with elevators and Calum it didn't turn out too well.

Thankfully, it wasn't Calum that was on the elevator; it was Kat. That probably wasn't much better. I gave her a small smile nonetheless, and she didn't even make any eye contact.

Kat looked different today. She wasn't wearing her normal dress or (surpisingly) her crown. She wore a long-sleeved fuzzy pink sweater with a black skirt, and black flats with bows on them. She was still more dressed up than I would ever be, but it was just odd seeing her dress somewhat normal for once. And what was even weirder was she didn't have any doctors with her; someone always was with her at all times, it seemed.

I wished Kat would have at least looked at me, but I shook it off, not wanting to make a big deal out of it. Kat was mad at me; of course she was. Because I had kissed Michael. (even though he kissed me first, but she probably didn't know that.) And she had a right to be mad.

I was about to click the floor one button when Kat beat me to it, her sleeve rolling up a bit. It was hardly anything, but it was enough to see her wrist and her scars. Fresh.

My breath hitched in my throat, and Kat mumbled something under her breath and fumbled with her sleeves. So many thoughts crossed my mind at once, mostly things like: was I the reason she did that? Because I kissed Michael?

I moved closer to her, finally being able to say, "K-Kat? What was that?" I stuttered a bit, feeling an odd pang in my stomach.

Katherine ignored me, pulling her sleeves even farther down her hands and looking away from me. "Kat, what was that?" I repeat, louder this time. I was really concerned about her, she was my friend and I didn't want her doing this to herself. Especially if the reason was because of me.

The doors suddenly open and we're on the first floor, but before she can step out I hit the button to close the doors again, and Kat sighs in defeat. "Katherine," I said, using her full name even though I knew she hated that, "What was that?" I said for the third time, which was ultimately a stupid question, because I knew exactly what it was. But I didn't know how else to address it.

"It's none of your business, Victoria," Kat replied, crossing her arms over her chest. I didn't even flinch at the mention of my name like I always did; it wasn't what was bothering me.

"Yeah, it kinda is," I said, even though it really wasn't my business but I was really worried about her. I didn't want her to go do these things to herself. How was she even doing these things to herself? "Does Michael know?"

Kat flinched at the mention of Michael; furrowing her eyebrows. "About the old ones? Yes."

"So these are new?" I gestured at her sleeve. I was asking dumb questions in the moment, because I very well knew these were fresh. I knew what those looked like. I had spent years knowing.

"Yeah," She mumbles.

"How?"

She didn't answer, she just rocked back and forth on her heels and stared at the ground. The elevator was back at the third floor again and I hit floor one again, not wanting her to try and escape our conversation again.

"Kat, you have to stop." I said softly. This was me; I was trying to help other people when I couldn't even help myself.

"Really?" Kat said, her voice raising. "You have no right to tell me what to do! You're lucky I'm even talking to you after what you did!"