day four

day four - escape plans

☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹

Vicky,
Oh my god, shit, Vicky. I was so scared. You scared the shit out of me. I thought you - well, you know. But I'm glad you're getting help. More than I could of helped you. I hope you're doing okay there. I miss you lots, nothing is the same without you. I really would like to write more but I'm in the middle of class and I'm supposed to be paying attention but before I go, I love you alot. Like alot.
- Cierra
P.S. I listened to The Rolling Stones for you, is that good? I even danced a little.

I smiled at the silly letter from my best friend, fiddling with it in my hands. The paper itself just reminded me of her - the flower doodles on the margins, her cursive handwriting, it even smelled of her - a summery body spray.

I secretly wondered how she got the letter here so quick. My first thought was that my parents dropped it off, but then I realized they would of been able to at least check up on me. But, being the assholes they were, maybe they wouldn't have. Or maybe they weren't allowed.

I reread the letter several times, taking in all the words. The one line I read over and over again. I hope you're doing okay. I wasn't sure; was I doing okay? There was still so much to figure out about this place.

Mostly what I wanted to figure out was the people themselves; they all interested me in ways I couldn't even understand.

No matter how much he got on my nerves, Jimmy was at the top of my list. He was an asshole; that's for sure. But I wanted to figure out why he was that way. I wanted to see the real Jimmy, not the conceited asshole who only cared about himself. I wanted to find out his true self; have a woman-to-man conversation with him and figure out his inner, most deepest thoughts.

I wanted to better understand Anne - she was quiet, shy. She never wanted to talk to anyone. I wanted to be almost like a big sister to her. Just the way she looked at people made me feel like she had no one. So I wanted to be that someone.

Katherine was a different story. I wanted to know her story so bad. I wanted to have a real conversation with her, no matter how crazy Cal makes her out to be. I would ask her what kind of hair dye she uses, maybe, or just talk about whatever comes to mind. She seemed so intriguing, I had to piece her together. Even though I had only caught a glimspe of the girl.

I even still had yet to figure out Stephanie, my own room-mate. She was younger than me, only by a year, but acted older, like a big sister. She taught me the rules of this place, and let me grow into the weird rules and regulations. I wanted to have those late-night conversations you had at sleepovers, the strange ones that came up at three in the morning. Like if you ever had been in love, or maybe her favorite film, or what perfume she wore. It didn't matter - I just wanted to know Steph.

Most of all, I needed to figure out Calum. He was person I knew best here. Yet, then again; I knew almost nothing about him. There was something different about this boy. The way he smiled or the way he sometimes let out small little noises while trying to clear out this throat.

The one thing I didn't understand most about Calum was why he befriended me so quickly. I was a normal, depressed girl who hated life. Who had none of her life planned out. Who had no light in her eyes. But he saw something in me that first night, and I didn't know what. I wanted to figure out everything about us so much - our conversations, our pinkie squeezes and ankle lockings. How we became so close in a span of about three days. I wasn't sure, but that was just one of the mysteries of this messed-up mental hospital.

☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹

"So, Vicky," Calum said, looking at me from his spot across the table.

"Mhm?" I said, crunching my daily cereal.

He slipped me a paper under the table, it was ripped, torn, faded - it had obviously been through alot.

I glanced at him, raising my eyebrow, and he nodded, encouraging me to open it.

I held the paper on my lap, opening the fold. Written in what looked like Calum's small, neat handwring, it read: escape plan.

I chuckled slightly at the title, reading on. All our names were listed, some scracted out, I figured those were the people who checked out already. I spotted my name quickly, someone had already added it. Other than the names, there was nothing written on the paper. A whole blank space for creating an escape.

"No plan yet?" I asked, handing the paper back to him under the table.

"Not yet." he shrugged. "We've had a couple plans but we haven't agreed on any of them."

"Why not just have, like, an escape partner?" I suggested, tapping my spoon against the bowl.

Calum raised his eyebrow at me, telling me to explain on.

"Like, when the one person says they're getting checked out, pick a person to take with you. When it's time to leave, sneak them out. Or something. I'm not very good at planning." I smile sheepishly, sliding down lower in the chair.

"Actually, that's not bad," Calum shrugs. "Just needs a little more planning, and yeah, there we go."

He passes the idea on down the table, telling all of the teenagers. I didn't think the plan was that good; apparently they thought different.

The Asshole admitted that it was quite a stupid idea, and I agreed. I told them I wasn't good at planning.

"But guys, think about it," Calum said, looking at us all.

"Say, I'm getting checked out. You know when you leave, you do that saying goodbye ritual thing on floor one? Floor one. The main floor; where the entrance is. The entrance is also the exit. After I would say goodbye, I would grab my partner and just run. We would go whatever. Run away. You see?" he gave Jimmy a slight nod, waiting for a response.

Jimmy just shrugged, but I bet Calum took that as a yes.

"Alright, cool." Cal pulled a ink pen out of his jean pocket, starting to write the plan down. When he finished, he once again handed it to me.

It read:
Vicky's Unbeatable Plan

An escape partner: choose later

"And we'll choose partners at classes this morning, there's an even number so that works," Calum smiled at me.

So - the crazy kids at the mental hospital were planning an escape. This place never kept you bored.

☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹

I missed morning classes due to the fact it was my first meeting with my doctor. We simply met in my room, and he sat down on my bed with me. Our conversation basically went something like this:

"So, Vicky, how are you feeling today?"
"Fine."
"Are you feeling any better since you've checked in here?"
"Uh, no."
"Why not?"
"It's a mental hospital."
"And what's so bad about it?"
"It's a mental hospital."
"Why do you think you're here?"
"I'm depressed."
"Why are you depressed?"
"Because life sucks."
"Why does life suck?"
"Why do you ask so many fucking questions?"

By that time, I was done with the asshole's shit, but I took Steph's advice and didn't scream 'Fuck you!' to him as he left the room.

I was in shock after he left - he was just another dickhead that I had to deal with. Doctors are supposed to help you, weren't they? He was no help to me whatsoever - all he did was asked how I was feeling and about depression, it couldn't be worse. He even basically called me fat; he said "Well, you could lose some weight."

I had already missed lunch by the time he was done talking with me, but I was in no mood to eat anyway. So I headed directly to the afternoon classes, ready to rant(I hoped I wouldn't be as bad as Jimmy) about my asswipe of a doctor. I was still pissed off a little as I took a seat next to Calum in the back of the classroom.

"What's wrong, darling?" Calum had taken a liking to calling me stupid nicknames - Vickers, Vicky-bear, sugar, darling, anything that came to his mine. I had to admit I liked his silly nicknames for me - it made me feel close to him.

"My doctor is a complete dickhead." I played with the hem of my shirt.

"Mine too," Calum agreed. "They sorta all are."

"He just sees right through me," I shook my head, looking at the ground. Saying this made me realize what I was thinking about this morning - how I just didn't want to see through people here anymore. I wanted to get to know them, the real them, not just the sad person I saw on the outside.

"I hate when people just see right through others." Calum basically lead me on into what I wanted to talk about, so simply I began.

I told the boy how I wanted to meet people here, how I wanted to talk to Jimmy, and Anne, and Katherine, no matter how much Calum laughed when I said that. I just spilled everything, and he seemed to understand.

"I want to meet the real people, you know? I want to leave here actually have learned something. I would like to learn how to actually meet the real people inside, not the people we see, but the real person."

After I finished, Calum stared at me with pure genuine in his eyes. They gleamed - it was the most alive his eyes looked since the day I had met him.

And then he pulled the same crumpled piece of paper out of his jean pocket; the escape plan. Yet, this time it had more writing on it. They had already chosen the partners.

I wondered who I got paired up with. Ultimately, I thought it would be Steph. But then again, maybe it wasn't.

He handed me the paper, and I searched for my name. The bottom half of the paper was covered in circles - with two names in each. I found my name quickly, and placed right next to it was the name Calum.

I looked up at the brown-eyed boy, who smiled.

"You chose me," I said softly, looking into his warm eyes.

"I did," he said quietly back, not breaking any eye contact from me.

My heart was beating so loud I swore Calum could hear it. He chose me, me, out of all of these people he knew for much longer than me.

"Why?"

"Why not?"

I rolled my eyes, and he let out a laugh. "But no, really, why?"

"You're different, Vicky, different than anyone than anyone else here, anyone I've ever met. Like, what you just were telling me - I could never think of something like that. I could never see people that way. But you, you do. You see things differently than other people. You see things and you understand. I don't know alot about you but I do know that you're special. And I would like to run away from this shithole with no one but you."

And for the rest of the class, we stared at our names next to each other on the table with our pinkies intertwined under the desk.

☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹

we need a ship name for vicky and calum omg help me

can we take a moment bc they want to run away together?? im crying??

vicky is on da side

ily all - molls