day two

day two - friends

☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹

Cierra,
I still haven't sent my first letter to you. I'm scared to bring it to the front desk to ask for a stamp and an envelope. First of all, because they might read it over. And they might criticize that I said "fuck" like 10 times. Second of all, I'm in a mental institution. Sending mail might not be a "normal thing" here. Well, I guess I'll have to try since I don't want you freaking out when I'm not in school, and when you try to come to my house I'm not there. Shit, that might be bad. I'll try to send this as soon as I finish writing. Currently, I'm in my room with my room-mate, Steph. She's nice. C, I'm sorry, I honestly don't feel like writing. Give me a break, I'm in a mental hospital for God's sake. But I'll keep you updated if anything even close to interesting happens. Love you, I'll be back soon.
- Vicky
P.S. Listen to some music for me. We can't listen to music here. So put on something good, dance around the room, and think of me as you do it.

I stared up at the ugly pastel ceiling, laying on the bed that was hardly comfortable. I wanted nothing but to fall back asleep - but I had to get up.

This place almost was like school - there was a schudele that you followed everyday. Stephanie filled me in on everything after dinner on the first night I was there. You wake up at precisely seven-thirty; and get ready. Then, you make you way to the morning group session - not sure how it was different than the Saturday night group therapy, but I guessed I would find out. Then, morning classes of school. Yes, they did have school, in a mental hospital. Apprently, you still needed your "necessary studies."

Then; lunch. Then the afternoon classes. Then yet another group session, but you talked about how your day went. Then came dinner. The last thing of the day was relaxation - Steph didn't have time to explain that one, but I'll see what it is.

I quickly got myself ready, looking in the mirror. I already looked a ghostly pale, and I hadn't even been here for twenty-four hours. If I looked like this already, who knows what I would look like by the time I get out of this place? If I get out of this place..

I walked out of the bathroom into our room, which was newly decorated. My dad snuck some pictures of band members and other things I liked in the bottom of my bag, and I was so grateful. I dreaded the ugly pink walls of my room - I needed something to cover it up. I kindly asked the lady at the front desk for tape, and she kindly denied me. In a way it digusted me - couldn't a teenage girl who just got checked into a hospital and was severely depressed just have some tape to hang up things that make her happy on the wall? Apprently not.

But Steph had a back-up plan. She found some old chewed-up gum that was still slightly sticky. It might be digusting, but hey, when you're desperate, you got to do what you got to do.

So now the room resembled my one at home a little more, and it made me feel better. However; I had to resist my urge to break down every so often. I couldn't help it if small sobs escaped my lips every so often.

Another doctor lead Stephanie and I to an elevator, where we were joined by the three other girls on our floor. I couldn't recall most of their names but I remembered Anne; she was fourteen and had panic attacks.

We were forced to stand nowhere near each other because of the strict no-touching rule. It was awkward and silent as we had nothing to say to each other. I silently wondered where the boys were - I had figured they had taken another elevator, again, since the no-touching rule. It was probably also because they didn't want boys and girls even bonding; they didn't want relationships. But it was impossible to fall in love in a mental hospital, right..?

☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹

We walked into a big, open cafeteria with lunch tables everywhere. It looked like a normal lunchroom; but there were adults, and seniors too. I even spotted a couple young kids running around - what were they doing locked up in a mental hospital?

There was even a lunch-line; every one of the other teenagers got into it so I followed like a lost puppy, since I was the newbie here. When I got to the end, I kindly asked the lunch lady if I could skip breakfast morning, since I was in no mood to eat anything. Yet, she said "no," and handed me a box of Cheerios.

All of the teenagers sat at one table, and I stuck with Steph, since she was the only one I had held a true conversation with. Unless you counted that kid Calum; which I didn't. I kind of wanted to talk to him - but there's nothing to talk to him about.

"Hi, oh, you're locked up in a mental instutition driving yourself insane? Me too!"

"Hi, I'm Vicky, and you don't really know me, but we should be friends."

"Hey, you're really cute even though you've been locked up here for who knows how long."

I mentally shook my head at all my greetings, I had nothing to say to him. Maybe I could thank him for noticing me the night before? I was nervous; I was never the best at talking to people or making friends. And I was at a hospital - was I even supposed to make friends?

The other teenagers made small talk at the table; it was mostly that asshole Jimmy ranting about how much his life sucked and how his parents were complete dickheads. I didn't listen though - my thoughts were somewhere else.

I didn't mean to seem creepy, but every so often I would sneak a glance at Calum. I would notice small things about him that alot of other people didn't realize or see. Like if he was right-handed or left-handed; he held is spoon with his right hand so I guessed right-handed. Or how he would bite his lip when he was listening to someone talk - like he was really interested. I don't know why I found the boy so interesting; but he was different than everyone else here. And I couldn't figure out why.

☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹

Group therapy was next; which was actually quite boring. We talked about our problems in life, and how we could solve them. I mostly stayed quiet, unless I was called on or addressed too. My mind was all over the place - I had a mini panic attack since I remembered I forgot to send my letter to Cierra, because I knew she would freak out. And so I started freaking out - heaving breathing, palms sweating, the normal. Then, to make the situation even worse, the therapist asked what was wrong. I didn't know what to say, I choked up last minute, and told her I missed my brother. Which wasn't a lie, I missed Will dearly. He was one of the only things keeping me alive.

Lunch was the same precedure as breakfast; you get in line, get your food, and sit down. The Asshole, my new nickname for Jimmy, rambled on about how his life sucked; I stayed quiet and ate silently. Steph talked to the girl to her right - I couldn't remember her name so ultimately I stayed out of that conversation.

Again, I found myself interested in the dark-haired boy. At times, I found myself full-on staring at him and then would have to snap myself out of the trance.

And then, his warm brown eyes met mine for just a second. Mine flickered back to my lunch, which I had picked a salad, since all the other opinions didn't seems appetizing. But when I looked up again, his eyes were still focused on me.

His lips formed into a toothless smile, and he nodded at me.

"Hi Vicky," he said. I felt somewhat intrigued that he had remembered my name, but he did mention me the night before, so it shouldn't of come of that big of a surprise.

"Hi Calum," I simply replied back, giving him a small smile.

Quickly he whispered something to Anne next to him, and she nodded and got up out of her seat. They switched seats so Calum was directly in front of me; staring me dead in the eye.

"How are you?" he said, propping his head up with his hand.

"Better, I haven't cried in at least 4 hours, so that's a plus." I chuckled lightly and stabbed the lettuce with my fork.

"Hey, that's good," Calum said and I looked back up at him. "I don't want you to cry. Chin up, darling." He reached for my chin as if he was going to lift it up; but obviously couldn't as there were many doctors here and they would punish us.

Nonetheless - his comment made me feel even better, and stronger.

I gave him a smile in return, showing my teeth and everything.

"So, have you made any friends here yet?" he said, not taking his eyes off me.

"Steph, 'cause she's my room-mate, and I think that's about it." I shrugged my shoulders.

"Why, you don't consider me a friend?" he put his hand to his chest and jokingly gasped, and I let out a giggle.

"Well, we only have talked for like, a minute, you realize," I replied, a small smirk appearing on my lips.

"Well, that doesn't change anything," he whines, and I laugh yet again. "Hi, I'm Calum. And you're Vicky. And we are now officially friends." It felt like the right moment to shake his hand, but since I couldn't, I simply nodded and brushed my leg against his.

"Friends," I said, as if agreeing with him.

"So now that we're friends, I can confide all the secrets about this place with you," he whispered, leaning in closer to me. In my ear, he said "Don't talk to that guy Jimmy. He's like, a complete asshole."

"I realized," I chuckled, looking over at the seventeen year old boy still ranting.

"He's been here for three months and honestly, I think he was healthier when he checked in," Calum let out a laugh in my ear, sending goosebumps down my spine. "Oh yeah," he said, looking around to make sure no one was listening in, "That girl, Maura?" He nodded slightly at the girl sitting right next to The Asshole, looking at him in a somewhat dreamy matter. "She's a total whore."

"Calum!" I said, trying to sound angry but instead, I couldn't hold in a laugh. "You can't say that!"

"Well, it's not a lie!" he said, putting his hands up in the air as if surrendering.

I laughed at the boy, who smirked at me in response.

The doctors signalled that lunch was over; and we all filed out the door together. Calum and I stood close next to each other; and weirdly enough it wasn't awkward.

As we walked towards the elevators that would bring us back to our rooms, our hands slightly brushed against each other - and my heart beat quickened. In the moment, I wanted to grab his hand and squeeze it, tight, but I knew it would get us both in trouble.

Our hands were still touching as we had to go seperate ways for the elevators, and just before I turned, Calum hooked our pinkies together, and squeezed, before turning to go the other way.

☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹

this is shorter than i wanted it to be but hey :-)

i tried to make it interesting but i couldnt really do much but hey vicky and calum talked

last time i checked, this was ranked #617 under fanfiction and i cried so hard omg

thank you for all the support on this fanfic already! ily all x

dedicated to overluked, ily val

until next time :))
- molly