day eighteen

day eighteen – pizza

Cierra,

According to Steph, we’re doing something special today. Then again, Steph is also a good liar. She also considers that being able to watch something on the TV here other than the news is special. So I don’t know.

 – Vicky

P.S. I’m writing this letter to you at lunch because why not. Calum is asking who I’m writing to. Now he’s saying it doesn’t matter, just tell whoever I’m writing to that he says hi. So Calum says hi.

“What do you mean?” I questioned, my tone of voice somewhat whiney. Steph wouldn’t properly answer my question, and was using some lame, bizarre excuse answers to make up for it.

“I don’t know what I mean, all I’m saying is that I heard we’re doing something special tonight.” She fell onto her bed, which creaked in her doing so. I just shrugged, lying on my bed as well. “I hope they’re taking us on a field trip.”

“…A field trip?”

“Yeah,” Steph sat up again, bobbing her head up and down. “I heard that one time they took them to an aquarium.”

I turned my head to the side a little; that seemed a little strange. They didn’t even let us tap someone on the shoulder when we wanted their attention, and they hardly let us get by if we sneezed after lights – out. But they took patients to an aquarium?

She huffed, rolling her eyes. “It was just something I heard, it could be a rumor for all I know.”

True, it could just be a rumor. People here liked to make up rumors. Like when I passed out and everyone said I had a seizure. You had to give it to them, though; they were locked up. Their mind probably liked to wander. If you had nothing better to do here, then why not have a little fun and start a rumor? That was probably their logic.

“Okay, now seriously, let’s go to group and see what they have in store for us.”

With that, I managed to pull myself up off the bed and follow Steph out the door. She led me down the hallway, even though I knew exactly where I was going. I had basically memorized the whole place but that point in time. It all started to look the same, though, with the white – and sometimes pastel – walls of the hospital.

As we got closer to the room where they held group, I started to smell something. It wafted down the hallways and God, was it familiar. I guess that Steph smelled it too, because she turned around to face me with a quirked eyebrow. I just raised my shoulders, suggesting that I had no idea what the mystery smell could be.

It should of hit me quicker. It didn’t register at first, but as I got closer, I recognized it. And my legs had every urge to run.

I guess Steph realized it as well, because she swung around to look at me again, her eyes wide. Wide with excitement. She started to bolt towards the door to the room until a doctor nearby told her to slow down. She settled for a slight jog.

“Holyshitholyshitholyshit,” Stephanie mumbled quickly, wanting to grab my arm and pull my through the door. Since she couldn’t, she just waved me through the door.