chapter five ▬▬▬ ancient species

━━━━━ JO-ANN LAID AGAINST the chopper as she applied pressure to her left leg hoping the pain would just go away

      ━━━━━ JO-ANN LAID AGAINST the chopper as she applied pressure to her left leg hoping the pain would just go away. Conrad was looking through the binoculars, trying to find other choppers in the air. Jo-Ann continued to apply pressure to her leg as the pain slowly started to go away.

"Calling all units! Is anybody airborne?" Slivko asked on the box that he held on his shoulder. "I repeat, is anybody airborne?" He asked again, still waiting for someone to respond.

"They're all down. Every one of them." Conrad said, walking back to the group. Jo-Ann looked up from her leg watching Conrad talk. "We're on the south side of the island. There's a river a couple clicks from here. If we stick to its banks, we'll make it to the exfil site on the north shore." Conrad explained, walking over to Jo-Ann and Mason.

"And then what? All our choppers are down." Nieves stated the obvious. Conrad turned around walking back towards Nieves.

"We'll find a way to signal the ship. They'll send a search party. We just have to make it by the exit window."

"I should be sitting at a desk," Nieves turned away from Conrad.

Jo-Ann placed her attention on Slivko as he walked back over to Jo-Ann and Mason. "So, wait, are we just not gonna talk about this?" Slivko questioned.

"My best guess is we're scattered over a four to five-mile radius," Conrad said, walking over to Mason first. "We should head north and join anyone we find. Are you all right?" He asked Mason, waiting for a response.

"I don't know how to answer that question right now," Mason replied.

"I don't know what that was either." Conrad soon looked up at the sky.

"All that money that they paid you? I hope you're worth it." Mason told him, walking past him.

Jo-Ann placed her attention back to her leg putting a tad more pressure on it as the pain finally went away. Conrad turned to face Jo-Ann, seeing a small cut on her forehead.

"What about you? Are you all right?" Conrad asked her, slightly worried over her.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I just want to get off this island." Jo-Ann replied, as she grabbed her bag and placed it on her shoulder, following after Mason.

"We're really not gonna talk about this? You know this is not normal, right? Stuff like that doesn't just happen!" Slivko said, raising his voice and moving his hand around.

Conrad moved ahead of the brunette who proceeded to follow behind him. She held her gun low to the ground as Brooks explained himself.

"It's called the Hollow Earth theory. Randa hired me because I wrote a paper substantiating what most people think is a crackpot idea. That there are these massive underground spaces isolated from the surface world." Brooks explained.

"Passageways." San corrected him. "Randa believes this island may be one of those," San added.

"An emergence point of whatever lives below," Jo-Ann said, popping into the conversation.

"Ancient species like what we just saw," Brooks added, as they finally came out of the woods. "I just thought he was out of his mind." They passed through tall grass, guessing where they were going.

"Yeah, so did I," Jo-Ann told the others. "When I first met him anyway."

Jo-Ann ignored Slivko as he began to speak on the radio again. The brunette walked up to Conrad, staying close to him, soon coming out of the tall grass and passing water. She looked up watching birds fly past them. Soon she placed a gentle smile on her face, then she looked back down paying attention to what was in front of her.

"Do you copy? Anybody?" Slivko asked, over the radio.

"We're out of range, Slivko. Save it for when we get closer to the group." Conrad told him, looking around at their surroundings.

They continued to walk past the water. The white birds that had been calling to each other flew away as a creature emerged from the water. Slivko held his gun up towards the creature as Mason held her camera up and Jo-Ann lowered her gun.

"Nobody move." Conrad ordered.

Jo-Ann watched as Conrad slowly moved over to Slivko, placing his hand on top of the gun and pushed it down to the ground. Mason captured a picture of the creature. Holding onto her camera the six of them watched as it turned away from them, walking further into the water. Jo-Ann placed a brighter smile on her face as they moved on.