chapter three ▬▬▬ scientific instruments

━━━━━ JO-ANN LOOKED AT the shop that stood in front of her

      ━━━━━ JO-ANN LOOKED AT the shop that stood in front of her. Smiling to herself she walked towards the ship, soon she came to a stop and stood in front of Woodward.

"Jo-Ann Edgar, Animal Biologist, or Tracker. I don't really know which one I would be under," she said, staring at Woodward as he looked down at his clipboard.

"You're here, go ahead." He replied, checking her name off.

Jo-Ann proceeded to walk past him, her eyes wandered around as she stared at the people that surrounded the boat. Soon she came to a stop again and this time in front of an older man, she assumed he was military. He turned his head looking at her.

"Can I help you?" He went on to ask her.

Jo-Ann pulled papers out of her back pocket, handing them over to him. She could tell that later on an issue would arise between them. He looked down at the papers scanning everything.

"You've done some time overseas as a CIA agent and a tracker?" He asked her, raising a brow.

"Yeah, I did. And then I was benched after my accident, and then I found a new job and now here I am talking to you waiting to get onto the boat." Jo-Ann remarked.

After a few moments he handed the paper back to her and nodded his head. Jo-Ann grabbed the paper from him and placed it back in her pocket. She walked past him exhaling soon after. Then she stepped onto the ship, when she made it on she looked at everything that was being placed onto the ship.

The brunette proceeded to walk to her assigned room, pushing the door open, she placed her bags down on the bed. Once she was ready she walked out of her room heading to the common area where everyone would be. Jo-Ann came to a stop next to Brooks watching as everyone slowly piled in one by one.

She turned slightly, her eyes landing on someone from her past, someone she thought she would never see again.

"Hello and welcome. I'm Landsat Field Supervisor, Victor Nieves. This is my colleague Steve Woodward, our data wrangler." He said introducing himself and Woodward. Conrad looked over at Jo-Ann briefly watching her keep her eyes on the men in the front of the room as they talked.

"Our expedition takes us to a place every nautical trade route known to man has avoided for centuries." Nieves began to explain as he clicked through the pictures. "As our satellites show, the island is surrounded by a perpetual storm system, allowing it to remain hidden from the outside world. But with Colonel Packard's helicopter transport, we will be the first to break through to the other side. We're also pleased to be joined, for the first time, by the resource exploration team, led by Mr. Randa and accompanied by biologist Miss San, geologist, Mr. Brooks, and animal biologist Miss Edgar. Our focus will be on the island's surface, and what lies beneath, Mr. Brooks."

Nieves called out to Brooks who walked towards the front of the room to take over. Jo-Ann looked back at Conrad, watching him take in all the information that was being handed out.

"Simple, really," Brooks said, as Randa walked to the back standing behind Jo-Ann. "We'll use explosives to shake the earth and create vibrations, helping us to map the subsurface of the island. We'll fly in over the south shore and then strategically drop seismic charges to better help us understand the destiny of the earth."

Jo-Ann pulled her eyes from Brooks and turned around to look at Randa, an angry look evident on her face. He knew he messed up in not telling her the whole truth.

"You're dropping bombs?" Conrad questioned looking at Brooks as a few eyes fell onto him.

"Mmm. Scientific Instruments." Brooks replied.

"You hear that, boys?" Slivko asked them. "We're scientists now!"

His comment caused a few of the men to laugh, while Jo-Ann rolled her eyes. "We're gonna have a talk after this is over," Jo-Ann told Randa, pointing a finger at him.

He nodded in response, watching her turn back around and place her attention back to the screen. She didn't approve of what they wanted to do, especially if there were creatures at risk of dying. Creatures that might be very different from the ones that they had seen.

"We'll then land and make base camp for ground excursions led by Mr. Conrad, and Miss Edgar. Major Jack Chapman." Nieves said.

Jo-Ann looked over at Conrad once again, as he looked over at her, the two of them made eye contact. Seconds later her attention was back on the front as Chapman walked up to the front taking over.

"Once on the island, the storm's interference will block all radio contact with the ship. That means we'll be by ourselves. Three days later, the refuel team will meet us here on the north end of the island. That may be our only safe departure window for an unknown period of time. So, a tip for everybody, don't miss it, please." Chapman said, looking around at everyone.

After the meeting was over Jo-Ann walked away turning around the corner. She soon stopped in a room waiting for Randa so she could talk to him. Randa followed after her, walking into the room and closing the door so no one would hear their conversation. Meanwhile Conrad stared at Jo-Ann from the other side.

"You know you're hurting innocent animals, why?" Jo-Ann questioned him.

"So we can learn about this island," Randa answered.

"I don't care, these animals could very much be different from the normal animals we see every day. We could learn so much from them. That being the case we don't even know what's dangerous on this island and what's not. But even so, you're going to hurt innocent animals at what cost?" Jo-Ann paused, she waited for a response but he could find an answer. "I'm not having it."

With those words she stormed out of the room passing Conrad on the way. He could see the fury that rested on her face. Truth be told he missed that side of her, he missed everything about her. He hoped that this might be what pulls them back together.