chapter seven ▬▬▬ lived in fear

━━━━━ JO-ANN LISTENED CLOSELY as Marlow talked to them about the island and what layed in the island

"You probably noticed a lot of weird things on this island. As long as we stay in here where the people live, we'll be all right." Marlow explained.

Jo-Ann followed behind Conrad. She came to a stop watching Mason turn around to look at the wall that stood not far from them.

"That wall, is that supposed to keep out that thing?" Mason questioned.

"Nah, he's not the one they're trying to keep out."

Marlow turned away from the group. Jo-Ann turned back around looking at Marlow, a confused look wound up on her face.

"What?" Brooks asked, following behind the group as they started walking again. Jo-Ann looked around at the people that lived in the area.

"These people live up on top of the trees while we're down on the roots. Some of them don't even seem to age. There's no crime, no personal property. They're past all that." Marlow explained to them.

Jo-Ann smiled, still looking around. "This is so amazing!" The brunette spoke softly, earning a smile from Conrad.

She watched as a group of people came up to them causing the group to stop moving. Silence filled the air, Marlow waited for the elders to give him an answer.

"Thank you. Thank you." Marlow responded to both the elders, as they started to walk away from them. "They say you can shack up here." Marlow told them, turning back to face the group briefly. Jo-Ann adjusted the gun that lay on her shoulder, then they began walking again.

"I didn't hear them say anything," Conrad said, moving closer to the front. Jo-Ann followed behind him, still staying close to Conrad.

"Oh, they don't speak too much. When you've been here as long as I have you start to understand. You'll see."

"Wait a minute. Wait, wait, wait." Nieves said, pushing his way to the front of the group, forcing them to stop moving. Jo-Ann rolled her eyes at the man, as complaints began to fall out of his mouth. "We can't stay here. We have to get off the island. We have lives. I have a life."

"Nieves now is not the time. All right?" Conrad told him, holding his hand out in front of him.

"What lands here tends to stay here," Marlow replied. They continued to walk through the village until they came upon a ship. "As far as I can tell, this ship washed up about 10 years before I did."

"You've been here since '44?" Mason asked him.

"Yeah." Marlow simply replied. "What happened? Did we win the war? Did we win?" Marlow proceeded to ask, curious to know the history of what he had missed.

"Which one?" Slivko asked him.

"Uh-huh. That makes sense."

Marlow ducked his head and walked through the ship. One by one they followed behind Marlow as he led the group to another area of the ship. Marlow pulled off his hat and walked forward, Jo-Ann looked around at everyone that stood in the ship.

"This is all hallowed ground to them. So if you like your hands, don't touch anything." Marlow informed them, turning the corner and coming upon another entrance of the ship. Marlow came to a stop at the entrance taking his hat off his head. Jo-Ann looked around to see sticks that held flames giving them light to see.

"Oh." Jo-Ann breathed out as she, Mason, and Conrad moved closer together looking at everything.

"Look at that." Mason said. The three moved forward looking at the pictures that were standing up in front of them.

"The way they tell it, for thousands of years, the people on this island lived in fear. That's a hell of a long time to be scared. And then, one day, the damnedest thing happened. Some of the things they were afraid of started protecting them against the things that were eating them. But nothing lasts forever, I guess." Marlow explained.

Jo-Ann and Conrad walked closer to a much larger mural that stood in front of them.

"And this is where they honor the last of their saviors." Marlow added. The rest of the group came up next to Jo-Ann and Conrad, looking at the mural that lies in front of them. "Yeah," Marlow walked up next to Conrad and Jo-Ann, the two turned their heads looking at the man. "That's Kong."