chapter ten ▬▬▬ don't give up hope

━━━━━ JO-ANN STOOD NEXT to mason looking over at Marlow as he rested his hands on the grave

"This man's name was Gunpei Ikari. But you take away the uniforms and the war... He became my brother. And we swore we'd never leave each other behind." Marlow explained, standing up from the grave.

Jo-Ann could hear the sadness in his voice, but it changed when Marlow stood up and looked over at them.

"Let's get off this island."

She watched as he lifted the sword out of the grave, shoving it into its sheath. The group relocated to the boat and began working together to get the last few touches on it as well as getting it up and running. Jo-Ann grabbed her gun holding it in her hand as she watched Conrad work to get the ship on.

Jo-Ann placed her eyes on Mason, she followed her eyes to look at the Iwis Tribe standing in a group. Jo-Ann walked up next to Conrad, keeping her eyes on them.

"I guess this is goodbye. Thank you." Marlow told them. She watched as they lowered their head down, then lifted them back up. "If you're ever in Chicago, look me up, I guess."

The boat began moving backwards, Mason lifted her camera up and proceeded to take a photo. Jo-Ann moved closer to Conrad resting her head on his shoulder. He looked down at her smiling as they continued to inch further away from the area. Mason turned around looking at Conrad and Jo-Ann. She captured them in the photo.

The boat continued to glide through the water eventually exiting out of the village. They were finally in the open water, Jo-Ann had moved away from Conrad to look at the rocks as they passed by them. Mason came up behind her, placing her hand on Jo-Ann's shoulder to gain her attention.

"Hi, there Mason." Jo-Ann said, breaking the silence between them.

"I don't know about you, but I'm thrilled to finally get off this island." Mason said, as Jo-Ann finally looked at her.

"I couldn't agree with you more."

"You want to know something?" Mason asked, placing her eyes on the water.

"What?"

"I can see the love that you two share. It's been there all this time." Mason looked back at Jo-Ann.

"Well, we've had history. But, he's the one I'd spend the rest of my life with, should he give me that option."

Mason only nodded her head, smiling brightly at her. Not long after they had finished talking Jo-Ann made her way over to Conrad standing next to him as he steered the boat. Mason came up next to her moments later, she watched as Marlow pulled out a picture.

"I got a wife. Had a wife. Have a wife? Guess I don't know anymore. We got hitched right before I deployed." He explained, showing them the picture of his wife. Jo-Ann smiled at the man, who continued to talk about his wife. "Got a telegram from her the day before I got shot down. She said we just had our baby boy." And then her smile grew bigger. "I got a song out there. Grown man I've never met." Marlow looked away from them.

"Yeah, she definitely thinks you're dead, man." Slivko said, ruining the sweet moment. The brunette looked up with anger resting on her face, even though Slivko couldn't see her. Conrad lifted his hand smacking the metal.

"Hey!" Conrad called out.

"I'm just saying."

"You don't know that. You'd be surprised how long people wait." Conrad announced, looking over at Jo-Ann. She simply sent him a smile. Marlow looked back at the group.

"Ah, truth is, I don't expect them to be waiting. I'd be fine either way. I just want one last chance to see them. That'd be good enough for me." Marlow told them.

"Don't give up hope just yet. You'd really be surprised how long people wait for a loved one to return. Sometimes waiting a long time makes their bond stronger than it ever was." Jo-Ann informed the man. She looked over at Conrad after speaking those words.

"We're gonna get you home." Mason said.