chapter thirteen ▬▬▬ kong's parents

━━━━━ JO-ANN HELD HER gun closed as they came to a stop near a few large bones

━━━━━ JO-ANN HELD HER gun closed as they came to a stop near a few large bones. She breathed in and soon exhaled, continuing to walk forward. An uneasy feeling grew in her stomach and all she wanted to do was head back to the boat and get off the island. But she set her uneasy feeling aside, pushing forward.

She continued to look around not realizing Conrad had stopped. Jo-Ann collided with him causing her to quickly apologize. She moved around looking at what he had been looking at. A large sea of bones rested in front of them.

"Yeah, you smell that? That's death." Marlow said, as Jo-Ann grasped Conrad's hand, entangling their fingers together. He looked down at the hands briefly, smiling. Then he placed his eyes back on the grave site.

"What the hell is this place?" Slivko asked him.

"This is what's left of Kong's parents." Jo-Ann looked down at the ground as the uneasy feeling made its appearance again.

"I've taken enough photos of mass graves to recognize one." Mason said, staring at the grave.

"The crash sites just on the other side of this valley. We'll cross through and make it  to the highest point west." Packard told the group of men and women.

"Great." Jo-Ann breathed out, Conrad gave her a comforting squeeze.

"Uh-uh. This place is a real no-no, sir." Marlow said.

"We need to be going to the north side right now." Woodward told them, fear of missing the departure.

"And you're welcome to do that, my man. By yourself." Packard replied, looking over at Woodward. "I'm not leaving Jack out there. Now, who's with me?"

Jo-Ann looked at Conrad. "If you aren't leaving then neither am I." She said, he looked at her with a soft smile resting on his lips.

"We can make it." Conrad told them, looking back out at the grave site.

"You're mighty right, we can make it. Now, stay sharp. Keep an eye out." Packard ordered, soon walking forward.

"I've only been here 28 years. What do I know?" Marlow asked.

Jo-Ann let go of Conrad's hand, grasping her gun again and holding onto it tightly. They moved down the hill heading into the grave site, Jo-Ann looked around holding her gun low to the ground but high enough so she could shoot in case something came towards them. She followed behind Conrad, staying close to him while Mason stayed closer to her.

Soon after they split off looking around, Mason and Jo-Ann stayed together looking around the site; numerous bones spread out everywhere. The two turned around as an explosion went off not far from them, she rolled her eyes at the men that were near the explosion.

"Idiots." Jo-Ann said.

"What those fumes!" Randa shouted.

"Let's go! We gotta move!" Packard hollered.

They grouped back together moving forward through the bones, keeping an eye on any incoming creatures. Jo-Ann tightened her grip on her gun as a screech came in from the distance. She only assumed that it had been the Skull Crawlers Marlow had been warning them about since they first met.

"Run!" Marlow screamed out.

Jo-Ann followed behind Mason and Conrad, but separated from them hiding with Marlow and Slivko. She held her gun closer to her, closing her eyes slightly, hearing the creature behind them. It screeched loudly, causing Jo-Ann to flinch slightly.

"I told you this damn place was a no-no." Marlow said, looking at Slivko and then at Jo-Ann.

"Yeah, I actually agree with you on this." Jo-Ann said, looking at him. Soon a disgusted look fell on her face as a skull was ejected out and fell onto the dirt, with a name tag connected to it. "God, I really hate this place." Jo-Ann whispered.

The Skull Crawler walked away from them, both Marlow and Conrad peeked around the bones to look and make sure it still wasn't there.

"Rally up! Rally up!" Packard ordered. "Somebody cover the civilians' six. Let's move!"

Jo-Ann stood up from the ground looking around the area, her gun close to her chest. They all gathered back together walking forward through the grave site. Marlow pulled out his sword as the group came to a stop briefly, however that had been enough time. Jo-Ann turned around looking at Randa as the Skull Crawler appeared above him.

"Oh, shit!"

The Skull Crawler ate him. Shock and anger fell onto Jo-Ann, she began shooting at the Crawler, getting closer to it slightly. She watched the Crawler turn away, leaving them alone as more shots were fired from her and the others.

"Set up the 50!" Packard ordered, causing the bullets to come to a halt.