Chapter 17- Transformation

"Mikan." Karin whispered in anxiety. Mikan slightly turned her head but kept her eyes on the demon in front of her. 

"Yes?"

"Whatever happens, don't give up." Was Karin's response as the demon rushed at her. She shot energy beams at it and dodged it claws. 'I have to make them fight Mikan. But how? Mikan can only pass the first phase with the intention to protect!' Then an idea came into her mind that made her eyes widen in realization. 'That's it. I have to make it injure me in front of her!' 

~**~

Meanwhile, Mikan was pissed off because her attacks only cause minimal damage. "Damn it." She barely dodged as the Umbras strikes its claws at her side. Its claws were glowing a vibrant violet which she conclude is poisonous. Best to avoid it like a plague. She swiped her hand in front of her and suddenly a wave of water was heading towards it. Facing her palm upward, a ball of lightning formed and she threw it at the wave, merging it with the water.

When it hit the demon, it cried out in pain; its body being electrified by the shock. Mikan smirked but it soon dropped when the demon stopped shrieking, it's body was slightly smoking but nonetheless, seemed unaffected.

"WHAT?!" Mikan screamed in indignation. "That's so not fair!" She whined then gasped as she crossed her hands in front of her and a barrier appeared; just in time to stop the incoming claws. Narrowing her eyes, her barrier produced fire and lightning. But like all her attacks, it only grazed the demon. Its earlier scratches and burns were already healed.

Mikan panted as she tried to keep her barrier breaking. Unfortunately, when the demon stroked its claws, a crack produced. Her eyes widen as beads of sweat rolled down at the side of her face. 'Oh, no! I can't keep it for much longer.' 

~**~

Karin dodged and took several steps back. She glanced at the brunette and saw her barrier cracking. 'Her Alice capacity is decreasing. I have to-' She side-stepped when the demon lunged at her and spotted her chance. She quickly ran towards Mikan side, aware the demon behind her was ready to spew miasma. 

'Here goes nothing!' Jumping in mid air, the demon spew miasma and hit her at the back. "AAAHHHH!" She screamed in pain as she landed with a huge thud on the floor. Her back was burned and her clothes were ripped but it still covered her body. She hissed in pain while mentally cursing in her mind.

~**~ 

"KARIN!!" Mikan yelled as she ran towards her fallen friend. She slowly and carefully placed the blond's head on her lap, careful of her wound on her back. "Karin, hang in there!" She yelled worriedly. "K-Karin...you're going to be fine. Just...hang on." She whispered as a lone tear fell from her eye. She didn't know anything about miasma but judging by the painful look on her friend's face, it was pure agony.

Karin smiled, although inwardly she hissed at the burns behind her and whined. 'Why does it have to be me?! The poison is spreading but thankfully, I managed to purify it. You better be worried about me Kaylina!' 

"Mikan." She muttered, feigning unconscious. 

"Yeah?" Mikan sobbed, biting her lip. 

Karin gestured Mikan to take something from her uniform's pocket. Mikan obliged and touched something hard and took it out. In her hand lies an orange sun pendant that shone like a particular jewel with a lighter shade than her eyes.

"Wear it."

Mikan sniffed but wore the necklace around her. She should marvel at its beauty but she has no time for that! Karin's sudden gasp made her alert at her friend's pain. "K-Karin?"