The Call Of The Wild

~~~

The shadows of the past hang heavily over the present. It feels like the only man you can trust is the fiance you've betrayed ...

~~~

Taehyung and i are engaged. 

~~~

Your Point Of View

You're engaged? 

I can't stand the look on Jungkook's face. I look down at my lap, my heart thumping.

I swear i can hear him breathing. Hear him breaking ...

And then there's an actual crash. My head snaps up. The balcony doors have been flung open and he is gone. Did he jump? 

I fling myself from the bed, run to the balcony and look out over the endless vista. Jungkook is nowhere in sight.

Y/N? Are you all right? 

I spin around to find Eunha standing in the balcony doorway, looking pale and frightened.

He was just here! Where did he go? 

She glances over the balcony.

I think i have an idea. What happened? 

I swallow hard and clutch the balcony railing. Even though i know i did the right thing telling Jungkook the truth, i can't help but feel guilty.

I told him i'm engaged. 

Eunha's jaw drops. There's a long silence as she processes that information.

Well, that'll do it. When did that happen? 

She can't conceal her distaste. It makes  me feel defensive of Taehyung and i cross my arms.

In Chicago. Right before the accident. 

No wonder he's upset. 

Why? I've been with Taehyung for years and i've known Jungkook for less than a month! We aren't anything to each other! 

Even as i say it, i know it's wrong. I know what we are to each other. If Jungkook is to be believed, we're soulmates ... Whatever that means ...

Eunha shrugs wearily.

He won't be back tonight. 

She gives me an assessing look.

And you need your rest. We'll talk more in the morning, okay? 

I nod. I don't know how i've stayed awake this long.

Eunha helps me back into bed. 

When she's almost out the door, i call out to her.

Eunha? 

Yeah?

Can soulmates connect through dreams? 

Her eyes go wide, but her gaze is steady when she answers.

Yes.

Then those weird dreams i've been having ... They were real.

But you knew that already, didn't you? 

And with that, she slips out the door.

~~~