Part one

Strained crying can be heard from the opposite side of the street as Trixie is walking home from her show at the coffee house that she does every Tuesday.

She sings mostly folk music but also takes requests for tips. She does a small show in her local coffee shop with all of her tips going to support local businesses that are facing risk of closure.

She crosses the road in pure curiosity and stops dead in her tracks in shock when she looks down the alleyway.

A little girl no more than four years old was laying in her own muck oblivious to Trixie's presence.

Trixie steps closer but still leaves enough distance that the small child wouldn't be alarmed.

"Hi sweetie" she says whilst slowly stepping forward and crouching to the girls level.

Not to her surprise, the little girl scrambles away in fear and backs into a corner.

"I promise I won't hurt you but I need to see you check if you're alright so that I can tell if you need to be taken to see a doctor, ok?" Trixie says in as much of a kind yet confident voice as she can muster up at the moment.

The little girl nods slightly and steps out into the weak glow of the streetlight above them. At first glance Trixie can see no obvious injuries to be worried about.

"Ok" Trixie says, sighing and contemplating what to do next.
"I tell you what. If you would like you can come and have a sleepover at my house with me! Does that sound fun?"

Trixie tries to stay calm as the girl cowers away slightly but still nods her head once.

"Come on then" Trixie says softly as she holds her hand out for the girl to hold.

However, much to Trixie's surprise, the young girl reaches her hands up to indicate that she wants to be held.

Trixie smiles softly and gently picks the girl up to hold comfortably on her hip.

"Do you have a name, darling?" Trixie asks quietly.

"Saffron" the girl says tentatively and then again more clearly.

"Saffron. That is a gorgeous name." Trixie says fondly which causes saffron to blush and push her head into Trixie's shoulder.

As the two continue their short journey to Trixie's house she whispers about everything and everything to Saffron as she begins to finally fall into a peaceful sleep.

Although this is all very new and confusing, Trixie gets the feeling that this will change her life forever.