Sixty-Three - Linkin

"I don't like this," I heard Stuart breathe as they arrived to the main hallway where the bedrooms for the experiments were - where my bedroom was. "What if they don't agree?" I wasn't too sure who Stuart was speaking to, but there was an uncomfortable silence. "Linkin? Any way to stop them if they're brainwashed and came after us? I don't want to hurt them."

Evidently, he was speaking to me before. "Mato and Anaba will for sure be on your side, I don't think they can brainwash them. They know Oasis is a terrible place, but I don't know if they knew there was another option. As for-"

"Linkin, we need you to open the guard door," Four hissed into my ear, cutting out the rest of my reply back to Stuart. I nodded and started to type, "Stop talking, Robin. You know what our backup plan is. Stick to it. Don't go soft on me because you got your girlfriend back."

There was silence on the other end and I opened the door, holding my breath. "Seven inside, weapons on the back wall. On the count of three," Four said over the com and I watched as she looked over her team then focusing back on the door. My heart stopped as she started counting, "One, two, three!" The door was shoved in and that's when the shooting began.

Flashes of light blinded me on the camera from the muzzle. Half of the guards were almost instantly killed, while the other half managed to get to their weapons. All I could do was watch the deadly exchange in horror. "They heard that!" Stuart was yelling. My eyes instantly flickered to his camera. Military-trained nurses came sprinting down the hall, guns drawn.

"Fuck," it was Four as she peeked over the table she was crouched behind, "You know what to do, Robin. We'll help you as soon as we finish off these bastards," she said and despite everything going on, she almost sounded like she was enjoying it.

Stuart, Ira, and Yulian ducked into a room for cover, peeking their heads out to fire off shots. Unlike the last time he was in a confrontation with the Oasis Project, Stuart was doing really well.

"Let me!" It was Ira, down on the floor, an automatic gun with a scope poked the end of her barrel into the hall and the two nurses were eliminated with two silenced shots. "Yulian, what do you hear?" she asked, the adrenaline turning her into the One she was born to be.

"Stop that one!" Four shouted, catching my attention as a guard made a break for an orange button on the wall.

"No!" I called out in warning. It was too late.

"Cover me!" Four yelled over top of me as she jumped over the table, Thierry lifted his head and started to lay down cover. He watched her as she slid over the top of another table, her image almost seeming to flicker as a knife lifted just as she slid behind the table. There were three more pops before Four stood up, not a mark on her though the knife should have gone through her. "Stop!" She turned her weapon on the guard, his hand hovering over the button. "Your friends were stupid. Don't make the same mistake."

I didn't recognize this guard, but he didn't seem to be phased by the guns all pointed at him. "Do you really think you can pull that trigger before I press this?"

There was a silent game of chicken before Four sighed and lowered her weapon. "Linkin, what does that button do?"

I was frozen. I didn't even remember standing up, but I was, the chair on the floor behind me as I stared through Four's cam. "Don't let him press it."

"Linkin?" It was the guard asking with a laugh. "And here I hoped that bitch was dead." He looked into the camera and I felt like he was staring into my soul. "How's that brain of yours?" There was a pause, a lump in my throat, the hair on the back of my neck standing on end.

More gunfire came from Ira. "We need some help!"

"Stop fucking around and kill him," Nate said into the mic. "Team B is meeting heavy resistance and Yulian lost his gun."

"Don't worry, I can handle a few doctors." Yulian was actually laughing.

My eyes never left Four's screen to watch Yulian sucker punch Doctor Connor. Four's gun raised again.

"Your brain mush yet?" The guard spoke again and it happened simultaneously. The guard's hand shot out and pressed the button as the gunshot echoed through the air.

The guard fell to the ground, a bullet between his eyes, but it was too late. "Code Orange," a robotic woman's voice said over the PA system. She didn't sound like Emma at all, but Emma's face was suddenly all I could think about, as she spoke quietly at the back of my mind.

"Robin, what's your location?" Four started, sprinting out of the room, the others following behind her. "And Linkin, what the fuck is Code Orange?"

I couldn't breathe. My whole body tensed. "We're in the cafeteria. We found Mato and Anaba." There was a pause as Stuart attempted to pass them over each a weapon.

"Code Orange."

"I hope you know how to use these," Stuart said carefully as he might startle them.

Just like me, the twins were completely frozen in place, unable to speak, react as an orange flashing light started. "Linkin, what's wrong?" Nate was slowly standing up, walking over to me.

"Code Orange." It was the third time. My eyes slowly started to close.

"There's something wrong with Linkin."

"This isn't good..." It was Stuart.

One single word was said over the PA system before all went quiet. "Root." That one single word sent every member from Site 2 collapsed to the floor, unconscious and out of the way for the kill team which was now en-route.