Twenty-Seven - Ira

"It's okay, Ira, just breathe." Emma gently led me inside my own room, her hand soft against mine. I didn't want to believe it was okay, but her words washed over me like a wave heavy with sedatives and I welcomed the feeling of calmness. Emma sat me down on one side of the couch and took the other side herself. Her freckles shone like gold. "That's it. No need to worry. You are safe with me."

My eyes were half-closed. I sank into the cushions, my body heavy. "Why are we here, Emma?" Somewhere in the depths of my mind, someone was screaming at me. I couldn't reach them or any other memory.

Emma retracted her hand paused for a moment, making the calm energy in the air lifted a little. When I widened my eyes at her, she spoke up quickly in a steady rhythm. "You know, working for Oasis is not easy, but that comes with having talents that nobody else has, and using them to help the world."

"I know." Did I? I knew from a voice inside my head that I was gifted, and I was invaluable. That voice sounded a lot like Emma, but it was a part of me now.

"Ira, all of these missions are dangerous, and you cannot jeopardise you and your teammates' lives. Why did you?"

"I don't remember," I tried to restrain my words. It was half the truth. I had difficulty remembering anything, but there were certain triggers that made them come flooding back.

"It's okay, Ira." Emma laid a hand on my arm, making my jaw unclench. Where she touched me left a gentle tingle, the tension fizzing away. "You can trust me."

I felt an overwhelming urge to cry. "I-It's been so long. Everything feels like a threat. I don't remember who I am. Nothing makes sense in my head, and I am just on my own. I'm always on my own..." I looked at Emma, biting my lip sharply. "All I do know is that I have to keep living, and I don't know why. I don't know if I really want to. I'm just so tired..." I felt myself fold into fetal position, but at the same time, I was detached. If only I could stop running in circles inside my head! When I looked up, I was surprised to see Emma's arm around my shoulders - something I did not feel, but the dread in my chest dissipated and my tears slowed.

"We'll take care of you," Emma said, her thin copper hair falling in front of her eyes. Her words washed over me in waves of truth. "You will be more than you have ever been. You just need to let us help you, and trust that we are here to protect you."

Protect? That was a foreign concept. I stared back at Emma with emptiness, but I knew that she was right. I nodded.

"You might not see it now, but these missions will turn the world into a better home, the home you've always wanted," Emma added. "There's nothing to run away from, nothing but a better future. You are going to believe in, trust, and follow the Oasis Project, believe in your part in the project. It will be for the best, and you have a new purpose to fulfil."

"Yes." My throat creaked, and my head started to spin. Emma noticed my discomfort and interrupted our conversation to fill up a cup of water for me, looking confused about why she could only find cheap plastic cups instead of the quality glasses in the cafeteria. "Thank you," I said, the cool liquid sloshing down my throat making me feel a little more myself, and the tingles of calmness gently retreated, but I was still inexplicably exhausted.

"It must have been a taxing few days for you," Emma observed. "Get some rest, alright?" She tugged the sheets to one side and helped me into bed. I kicked off my boots and didn't even complain that I had my day clothes on. It was Emma who insisted on taking off my jacket. "There. It's not so bad. We're here for you, I promise that."

Her promise made me choke on a sob. I was hoping that she wouldn't notice, but when she asked what was wrong, I felt compelled to answer. "I just hope... they're not like Russia."

"What do you mean?" Emma asked quietly.

Heavy with sleep, I fought the images that sprang to mind. If it wasn't for Emma's touch, I would be hyperventilating right now. Instead, I watched blood spurt from the bearded man's neck like a fountain behind my closed eyelids, unable to do anything or feel anything. "Oasis Russia..." I felt my throat constricting as I forced the words through in a painful rasp. "It almost killed me." I wasn't sure if Emma had anything to say back, but I didn't remember anything after that.

󠁌♟♙♟♙

The insides of my eyelids were reddish-orange. Voices floated around me and I heard the scuttering of feet, maybe metal against metal, or glass against metal every now and then. "Wha..." I opened one eye, and it was as difficult as pushing a boulder.

"Don't worry, Ira. We don't need you awake for this," Liana said close by. "You can go back to sleep if you want."

"What is-" I stopped when I felt the compression on my arm ease. I opened both of my eyes and looked at my right arm. The bandages were fast disappearing, the new dressing thrown away. "Liana?"

"Liana," an unfamiliar voice spoke up, "are you sure? This is the last that we have-"

"Just listen to me," Liana sounded irritated. "The sooner we get Four back, the sooner we can get back to producing the compound."

"But this is only a common injury," the other doctor protested as I struggled to stay awake. There were more crisp sounds of things making contact with metal. "What if one of our soldiers gets seriously hurt and needs this more?"

"You heard them," Liana whispered forcefully. "Guo Beiya is the priority. If they want One to be ready now, they want her to be ready now. It is a calculated risk. The sooner we retrieve Four..." I was expecting Doctor A to finish her sentence, but she didn't; instead, I felt a cool, gel-like substance being applied to my bullet wound. It stung a little before a strange feeling took over like it was glue pulling my muscles together. "There we go, Ira. You'll be good as new for departure."