Twenty-Four - Linkin

Doctor Connor brought me another report, this one was different. It was still about Project 3-1, this time she had shot a Doctor and Project 3-2 on a mission after letting their target escape. The second I finished reading it, I glanced to Doctor Connor, "This is in China, yes?"

"That is correct, but you don't need to trouble yourself with that."

I had to admit, I liked it better when he brought me the case file and not the General. "That's the mission Emma and I are going on?"

He nodded his head again, a brow raised. "What's your point, Two?"

"At the end says they're contemplating rehabilitation, why don't Emma and I leave for China, meet up with them. After Emma finishes... correcting One, then we can leave from Egypt right away. It'll also be a good field test. I won't be in danger, but I'll have to leave the compound."

I glanced back down to the file, flipping through it again as Doctor Connor just stared at me. It seemed like most people didn't want to be told what to do by a project. He stood in silence, sighing as he eventually rubbed the back of his head. "You can call and ask if you'd like. I am just trying to be of use."

"I-I, yes, I will." He tried to remain composed, but it was obvious my questions had shaken him. Doctor Connor walked off and I sighed as I tapped the file against my leg, evidently, I was burning this one.

󠁌♟♙♟♙

Emma and I sat across from each other on the private jet. She sighed, glancing out the window as she shook her head. "Why did you have to suggest leaving early?" she grumbled. Her discontentment for going to China was palpable and she didn't hide it at all.

Maybe my plan was a bit insane and I did feel guilty that I had to bring Emma into it, but it was the only way to make this work. I had to prove my loyalty to the Oasis Project while putting to rest any doubts I had. All they did was cause headaches and put me in danger. Nazem would use anything against me to take Two back, to make sure I was worthless to the project. If Nazem got what he wanted, I was as good as dead, or worse. I couldn't go back to Dell Island, I couldn't be tested on, and I certainly couldn't die.

I crossed my legs and stared at my exposed skin. It was supposed to be hot where we were going so we were given new clothes. It felt strange to be wearing shorts and a tank top. It was both empowering and nerve-wracking. "I think my friend is there," I whispered.

Emma sat up a bit straighter and looked at me. "What?"

"My friend, the one I escaped the island with. I think she is there, I think she is their One and I think she is in trouble..."

"Linkin!" Emma hissed in protest, shifting closer to me. "Are you mad? They'll send you back if they think you're loyalty is off and this time you may not come back." She warned me, her voice full of worry. Emma was right, there was no doubt about it, but if I worried about Ira, I couldn't focus on the situation I was in.

I shook my head and glanced up to her, "I am loyal, I just figured it is better if we reprogram her than someone else." It was mostly true. "Plus, she probably thinks I'm dead." Then again, I wasn't sure if that was a bad thing. My brain was so fuzzy, my head constantly ached as I thought about anything about Ira or Thierry. I could almost feel the needles in the base of my skull now and I groaned, putting my face in my hands. I knew I was doing the right thing for the Oasis Project, but why did it sit so wrong in my stomach?

"How long have you known she's been in China?"

I honestly still wasn't sure; it was only a hunch. "I had a hypothesis from the first file General Hewett gave me, it was better confirmed with the one Doctor Connor gave to me yesterday. If it isn't her, then whoever it is, is in trouble." At this point, it'd almost be better if it wasn't Ira, then my headache would at least go away and I could finally put my past rest.

I started to feel sick to my stomach and I rolled in my seat, leaning in back so I could rest on my side. "I'm just going to close my eyes for a minute," I mumbled, even with my eyes shut the gnawing ache didn't disappear.

"Are you okay, Linkin?" Emma asked worriedly. She really was like a mother-figure. She watched out for everyone, not only me. Even now when she could be ratting me out to anyone who would listen, she didn't. She didn't even judge me, she was just worried.

My eyes fluttered open again, and I curled up a bit tighter in the chair. "I don't feel right..." I whispered. The truth was I felt the exact opposite of right; everything inside of me felt wrong, but I couldn't understand why without another wave of nausea washing over me and the migraine increasing.

With my eyes closed, comforting images flashed through my mind. Doctor Connor, Dell Island, the labs, the training grounds, Doctor Stuart.