Fifty-Six - Ira

"Isn't that just torture?" A voice that I hadn't heard in a while made Yulian and me turn around, pausing our quiet conversation about the various Oasis blueprints stuck on the wall in front of us.

"Hey Nate, I was wondering when you'd free up a bit." I smiled tiredly, giving him a hug. "I'm so sorry about last time... and the time before." I felt Yulian's curiosity and introduced them to each other.

Nate politely shook Yulian's outstretched hand. He'd left his dark hair uncut, but it suited him. "I probably know more about you than you're comfortable with. Perks of working with Four," he said, making Yulian laugh. After eating an inhuman amount of dinner, Four had spent the rest of the night making sure that everyone here knew every detail of the Alaskan black site. I didn't blame Linkin for leaving within the first five minutes.

"I'm glad you still want to talk to me after taking in all those facts," I said, mostly serious. "And work with a mutant leader to sabotage a black ops program. I think I picked the right housemate."

"Miguel didn't want to tell me at first when I wanted to know what was going on," Nate confessed, awkwardly adjusting his glasses. "When he did tell me, I finally understood why you were the way you were, Ev- Ira. Of course I wanted to help, but he said I'd already done enough."

"Thank you," Yulian said beside me, nodding gratefully to the precise floorplans that Nate has made according to Linkin's memories.

Before Nate could continue to be his modest self, I chimed in, "Yes, thank you. You didn't have to do anything." I sighed. "Sorry..."

"They were just happy to hear that you were alive, especially-" He was interrupted by loud, running footsteps.

"Ira, are you and Two friends?" Four barked through the doorway.

It took me a few seconds to realize that she was talking about Linkin. "Yes, Linkin and I are friends. Why?"

"She won't cooperate. Not even Robin and Thierry can get through to her. I thought she agreed to help." Four dragged me down the hallway before I could say goodnight to Yulian and Nate. "If she is still one percent loyal to the Oasis Project, you need to tell me."

I thought back to how Linkin was acting earlier today, and even earlier on the flight. It wasn't loyalty that was bothering her. "She's not loyal to the Oasis Project."

"Then make her cooperate before tomorrow, or tell me why she won't." Four led me up the stairs, to an eerie row of rusting cell doors. The old fluorescent lights made her scars look like bloodstains.

"If none of you have succeeded, what makes you think I can?"

She didn't stop. Four nodded at each door that we passed, mentally counting. "You're the One on this team. Pick up some slack." She slowed, an amused smile spreading across her face. "We have One, Two, Three, and Four. Perfect."

I sighed and rolled my eyes as she continued her train of thought. She proceeded to tell me where everyone's room was, emphasising Stuart's and a lack of a room for two. I was going to be right next to Linkin. When we got there, she told me good luck and promptly left, saying she needed to check if any of the codes had changed.

Knocking on Linkin's door had no effect; it was only when I said, "It's Ira," that she opened the door grumpily after a few seconds.

"Can I help you?" Her eyes were bloodshot, but the green blanket was still folded up at the end of her narrow bed.

"Can we talk-" She tried to close the door on me, but I already anticipated it and resisted long enough for her to give up. I squeezed myself into Linkin's cell, truly understanding what Four meant by not having room for two. There was barely space for one. "Linkin, you've got to tell me what's going on."

"I have," she said, crossing her arms defensively. "Four's not helping. She sent you here, so you're not helping."

"Linkin..." I faltered, not knowing what to say. "Come on, you're a terrible liar."

"And you're just... terrible!" she protested. If she didn't sigh out of frustration, I might have found it funny. "Nothing's the problem, Ira. I need sleep."

"I thought you were nervous," I pointed out.

"And that too!" Linkin raised her voice a little. "Let me go back to sleep."

"Make sure you don't catch a cold." I walked closer and patted her neatly folded blanket, smiling against her glare. "Got more work to do tomorrow. I think we might leave after that." I slowly walked back towards the door, humming knowingly.

"Ira!" Linkin yelled out.

"Good night, Linkin!" I turned around to give her a little wave.

"Get back here!" she demanded. Her mouth was trembling, and she looked away to wipe her eyes dry.