Four - Linkin

Once the sedatives wore off, I was awake. I didn't know if it was the overly soft bed, the faint light coming from behind the curtain, or the fact that every time I started to dream, I heard whispers of voices which I had long forgotten.

I felt stronger now without the drugs, but not by myself. I stared up at the ceiling in compilation, curious as to why everything had now changed. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason as to why now I was treated like a guest and not a prisoner. I hadn't done anything special, I didn't earn this in any shape or form. It made me worried.

Without the fog of the medication, my mind wandered to Thierry for a moment. My heart ached and I wondered if this was all because of him. They told me he was dead, captured, tortured, beaten - was it all true? If they knew I had nothing to go back to, is that why they stopped torturing me?

The questions and endless what-ifs were becoming too much. Memories from my past haunted in the shadows of my new room. I needed out of here. Pulling the covers back, I shivered at the cool air of the room. It didn't stop me. With the help of my arms and the dresser, I was able to sit up and get my legs over the side of the bed. The IV pole stood beside the bed and I let out a long huff. Easing my feet to the ground, they could hardly support my weight.

The IV pole held me up and I used it as a cane as I wheeled it along my bedroom, out of the living room and finally to the door. I knew it was too much to hope that the door would be open, that I was still a prisoner, but I tried the handle anyways. To my surprise, the door opened. Poking my head out into the hallway, there was nowhere around. I continued to stroll out into the hall, the floor was cold on my bare feet, but I did my best to ignore it.

By the time I had gotten to a large hall, I was exhausted. The room was stunning with marble floors, columns which went all the way up into the vaulted ceilings which included skylights which shows the night sky. There was a small sitting area of different types. One area which had more couches and games in a corner, a number of plastic picnic tables which took away from some of the beauty. I didn't care enough to question the perplexing space as I dragged myself over to one of the large circular swivel armchairs.

Collapsing into the soft material, I pulled the blanket off from around the back and quickly wrapped it around myself as I shivered. My head rested on a pillow as I curled up in the space. The confinement was relaxing. After being in restraints in a wheelchair for who knows how long, curling myself up into a ball to fit on the space brought a strange sort of peace.

I don't remember falling asleep again, but I remember being woken up. "Are you crazy? What are you doing?" It was a girl's voice with a subtle Scottish accent. My brow furrowed as I curled up into a tighter ball. "Wake up," she added with some urgency.

Forcing my eyes open, I frowned as I rubbed the sleep away. I yawned before moving to see who my rude alarm clock was. The girl was someone I didn't recognize, she had long auburn hair and her pale complexion was hidden behind layers of freckles. Her brown eyes locked onto my blue ones. "Come on, you've got to move. You can't be sleeping here."

Once again I didn't speak, unsure if I even could. The girl finally started to look me over, her expression changing from annoyance to confusion. Kneeling down in front of me, I could only imagine how I looked. It wasn't bad enough that my hair had reverted back to its natural, wavy, frizzy form, but I knew I had bags under my eyes. I hadn't seen sunlight in months, and that wasn't accounting to the two IVs I was hooked up to and the NG tube taped to my face. "Are you alright?" Her voice was softer this time as she knelt in front of me.

My eyes flickered down, shifting so I was sitting up ever so slightly. "My name's Emma, what's yours?" A pause, "Do you remember?" I hesitantly nodded and Emma smiled, "That's good, very good. What's your name?" She spoke to me as if I was a child even though she was probably only a year older than me.

"Two."

It was Emma's turn to frown, but I stopped paying attention to her as I focused on what my voice sounded like. It was raspy and completely foreign to my ears. "No, your name, your real name, not what they call you."

Laying my head back down, I bit my dry lips as my mind struggled to remember what my voice was supposed to sound like. It had been so long since I had used it for anything except screaming. Seeing I was slowly reverting back to my mind, Emma sighed and gently placed a hand on my arm. "Is it okay if I sit with you for a bit?" Her voice sounded sweet, calm, and soothing. She probably never screamed until she forgot how to speak.

When I didn't answer, she just nodded and stood up, "That's alright, we don't have to talk. You aren't supposed to be in here though, so I am just going to sit with you for a bit, okay?" Once again her question was met by silence and she decided to hear whatever answer she wanted to.