Sixty-One - Ira

"I've seen you dance, learn Russian insults from Yulian, check weapons with me," I said to an embarrassed Stuart who was loading a black van with crates, "and you're in charge of the rescue team. Well, Four did say that you weren't someone I wanted to meet."

"She did?" Stuart laughed quietly as he helped me with some ammo, before teasing me back. "I think past Ira would agree."

"Past Ira never saw you dance." Even though getting ready to attack Oasis was tense, I was enjoying this a little too much. "Would've been floored."

"Go away," he protested. I knew it was taking so much out of him to not talk about how I was projecting my nervousness.

"I will in a bit," I said, hauling up another box, "when I leave in this van. You're going to be sad."

"Did Yulian give you sugar?"

"Yulian has sugar?" My question ended in a squeak, although what I was preoccupied with was the fact that he wouldn't share with his best friend. I looked back towards the prison, as if I would find the sugar that way. My newly cut hair fell in front of my eyes. "No wonder he did all those backflips."

"Ira, that dance never happened, okay?" Stuart tried to convince me as we finished up the van.

"As long as Linkin has that ring, I'm not going to forget that it happened." I tapped him on the cheek. "Which is never, which makes me happy! But if you want to take my mind off it, we should sneak into Canadian civilization when we come back, for coffee."

"I was just thinking that." Stuart sounded disappointed.

"I'll forget I brought it up." I smiled.

"Can't you forget the other thing?" he shouted after me as I turned to walk back to the prison.

"Nope," I said, holding out a hand for him to take.

"Hey," Stuart said as he tried to slow my pace down. He took both of my hands and looked embarrassed, his green eyes scanning my face before he smiled nervously. "Um, so, do I need to ask this? Will you be—"

"Don't be silly, Stuart." I closed the gap between us and kissed him gently on the lips. My blood was still roaring, but somewhere in that, I found solace as we both laughed in relief. "I'd say we've been going out for while now. Life has been too much of a roller-coaster for tradition."

"Good to know that you agree." He added something about "classic Ira" in a low mutter, which made me roll my eyes. Our laughter rang across the snow.

󠁌♟♙♟♙

"All the weapons are loaded?" Four leaned against the table.

"Yes," I replied, my muscles trying their best not to noticeably twitch. Time was ticking and there was no telling how our siege was going to go.

"Snow chains?"

"Both cars."

"Engines alive?"

"They were," Stuart cut in. "But we'll find out if technology wants to surprise us when we go."

"The GPS trackers are working," Linkin said, not looking up from her laptop. I guessed she wanted to hide her flinching at the mention of trackers. "We'll know for sure how responsive everything is once Four drives off."

"Are you sure you're fine with all of us going?" Stuart asked, and Four gave him a disapproving look. That reminded me of all of Linkin's troubles, and I was glad that she said that Asmar didn't know the time frame for our mission, and having her stay here would hold him off for a little longer.

"I'll be okay, Stewie." Linkin looked up and smiled for once. "I'm engaged, I get Four's big office, we got this." She didn't mention to him the medical equipment that was on its way here.

"Good," Four said, smiling back at Linkin which caught me off guard. She turned to me. "Ira, Yulian, Thierry, say your goodbyes. I'll be at the first van. Comms on, everyone. Good luck."

Before Four could leave the room, Linkin jumped up and threw her arms around Thierry's neck. My excitement for their engagement quickly melted into heartache that they had to be separated so soon. I was frozen as I watched Yulian skipped over to Nate, his newest friend on the block, and gave him a hug and a pat on the back.

"I guess you're just kidnapping me again and taking me in your van?" Stuart said beside me, running a hand through my hair.

I jumped, then pretended that nothing happened. "Sorry. It's been a while since I've done anything funny, hasn't it?" I sank into his open embrace. "Maybe I should-"

"Don't you dare finish that train of thought, Ira," Stuart mumbled into my ear.

"That's not very professional, telling me what I can't think." I chuckled before kissing him. It didn't feel like we were heading into danger at all. "For the record, I'm sorry about that one. I think I was too drugged up in Mexico to remember I nearly killed you."

"It's been over two years, but in case you didn't know, I'm not into any of that." He must have sensed my urge to hit him because he pulled away. "Honestly, Ira, deep breaths. Look at me. It's going to be alright. It'll be over sooner than you think."

I sucked in a lungful of air and held it as I held his gaze. I'd studied his eyes a lot on Dell Island when he couldn't see me in the dark, and I'd thought the simple concern and understanding were complex facades back then. Feeling a little steadier, I gulped down the bubbling fear. "Right, let's make this the worst goodbye ever so we'll have something to look forward to."

"Don't worry, Ira. I'll be right behind you. If you screw up, I'll pick up the pieces." It was Stuart's turn to joke nervously, and he shook his head apologetically before giving me one last kiss. "Now hurry up. You're always on your own schedule."

I tried to ignore the fact that Yulian had started a casual conversation with Nate, waving his hands around more than he was speaking. Thierry had moved towards the door but was still clinging onto Linkin. When Linkin saw that I'd finished speaking with Nate, she gave Thierry a lingering kiss before running over to fling her thin arms around me.

"Stay strong, okay?" I murmured, careful not to crush her injured ribs as she nodded against my shoulder. "We'll get through it, one thing at a time. I've got you."

"Thank you..." Linkin looked like she might cry again as I followed Yulian and Thierry out the door. I slid my right arm into the thick sleeve of my coat and smiled at all of them. The corridor was much colder and smelled like decades of dust, and Thierry was already opening the main doors to a white landscape.

I couldn't shake off the feeling that the others were following us, and when I glanced over my shoulder, I caught Stuart standing in the hallway with Linkin and Nate poking their heads out of the room. Shaking my head, I sprinted back the way I came and surprised Stuart with a hug.

He laughed and was about to say something, but I cut him off. "Hey, I love you. Please don't fuck up." I didn't stop to check his reaction, just ran all the way back to where Thierry was holding open the door.

󠁌♟♙♟♙

"You're okay?" Four asked all of us, examining our drained faces as we nodded. She had the engine of the van running, and I could feel the heat coming from inside the vehicle. I was looking forward to a little bit of comfort.

"I will not ask how long is the drive," Yulian said, the wind blowing through his blonde curls.

Four smiled knowingly and tapped on her earpiece. "Linkin. Do you have everyone?"

"Do I?" She waited for us to say hello before she chuckled. "Hey Ira, Stewie loves you back. And if you ever doubted that, then you are seriously so stupid. That was the first confession, wasn't it?"

"You're not that funny, Linkin," I said, ignoring Thierry and Yulian's amused looks as I ducked into the van, checking that all the guns were in place underneath the seats and inside the doors.

"He just said the same thing. Don't shoot the messenger!" she sounded confident again, and even through my embarrassment, I was glad to have her back. "You're good to go, Four. Team B should be following in about ten minutes."