Chapter 20: Searching for Proof

Brittany's P.O.V.

I called up DeShaun immediately after Marshall left me in the studio.

I honestly didn't mean to cause things to've been blown out of proportion like that, but what other way was I to do it? Those lyrics, that song was what was on my mind—what mattered to me currently; even all this time.

I felt absolutely awful about my answer. I wanted to choose Marshall when he gave me the option, but was it weird to say that something in the pit of my stomach stopped me from answering to that?

Sue, my alternative to phone, was probably too busy mid-day this afternoon. That's why I didn't bother. And for some reason, I felt like DeShaun was the one I wanted to talk and be with right now, out of anyone I could think of off the top of my head.

DeShaun told me to meet up with him at the park that was fairly close to the studio. Making sure to grab all my stuff, wiping some tears along the way, I left by myself. We had taken Marshall's car previously to get to the studio, but obviously, since he left me, it was now up to my own two feet to use as transportation.

The weather wasn't the best on this particular day in May. It was cloudy, mostly grey, with a slight chill lingering in the sky. The mixture of trying to withstand this and continually thinking back to the events that happened at the studio made me feel more utterly gloomy during my uncomfortable walk in solitude.

When I finally reached the park I went straight to the playground, looking for an open bench where DeShaun was supposed to be. I couldn't find him. I just went ahead and sat down at a cold, wet one by myself, since they'd all been like that, regardless, probably from the moisture and dampness in the air.

But moments later, I felt a tap on my shoulder. It made me jump. I looked behind me with haste, surprisingly finding out it was him. I swiftly rubbed my eyes for the last time, greeting his presence as the wind blew behind us. "DeShaun," I tried smiling.

"Yo," he smirked, going around to wear he sat beside me. After sitting, he exclaimed something to himself, something about the "Stupid motherfucking bench!" and how his black ass was drenched now because of it. I've never laughed harder. I instantly felt better; almost. "Hey, but what happened? Why'd you call me up here? Something between you and Marshall?" DeShaun was trying to recollect.

My head dropped staring at the ground, feeling down again. "If you had to pick between two things: someone you love versus some place you love... then what? I'm completely stuck." I went to explain everything to DeShaun. From starting out in Portage, moving to Detroit, my reason for stripping, wanting to end up in Miami; and then the issue with Marshall coming in. The issue with everything. "It's the hardest thing I've ever had to come across," I conveyed my feelings. "I've had this dream since before I ever met you guys. I've been working all my life up for this moment. I'm just so conflicted. I want to move on with an actual career and start school already... I feel so old," I ended. Twenty-two and barely starting the whole college thing? Yeah, not so much.

"You ain't old, B. You still got so much life ahead of you. Why does age even matter? Ain't nothing but a number," DeShaun started out. "And I get you. If you had something set up in front of you that you stuck to the whole time, with it being your dream, I don't blame you. I respect that you been working hard for your dream all along; I feel I can relate the same with rap. It sounds real important to you. But," he continued, "it's your gut feeling that comes down to the final conclusion. Whatever you feel is most important. You can always come back home if it don't work out. We'll be here waiting for you, Em and I."

I nodded my head carefully, a gust of the shivering cold breeze hitting me.

"Plus, I apologize on behalf of him. It was uncalled for making you decide under pressure between him and Miami. He gets a little sensitive sometimes. Also, a bad temper when he gets angry," DeShaun sighed. "But, again, he's always cared about you this whole time. You're something to him. So think and never forget that."