Chapter 13: Change Your Life

End of summer 1995, August

Brittany's P.O.V.

I was on my way over to Gilbert's, the place Marshall worked.

What I was doing was completely unplanned—a thing on the spur of the moment. I was going to go see Marshall (it was about the time he was getting off), pick him up, and take things from there. I wanted to see him so badly it's like I couldn't wait any longer. It's been almost a week since the last time I did. It's funny, though, since we already in fact had our our plans set out for today; but I thought I'd change things up a bit and show up a tad bit earlier.

I parked my car next to this one Mercedes-Benz in the restaurant's parking lot. Once shortly getting out of my car, I pranced over to the front door of the lodge. As my hand was about to pull it by its handle, the door was already being pushed open from the other side. I gasped right away by the sight in front of me, a clear smile following.

"...Brittany?"

"You're coming with me," I immediately took Marshall by the arm, twirling around. I was holding laughter in the whole time back to the car, lugging him with me.

He was laughing at me the whole way across the lot, confused. "Man, what are you doing? What are you doing here, even? I thought we were—"

"We're going to the lake," I interrupted, turning my head back to look at him.

"Right now?" he exclaimed at me.

I nodded, us almost there. "Come on, my ride, let's go."

He chuckled lightly. "You're being cute again."

"Shut up."

Right before we arrived at my car, Marshall ended up being the one pulling me, heading not to my car but the one beside it: the Mercedes. "How about I take us instead?" he grinned at me.

I froze in shock. "This is yours?" my mouth hung open at the car I parked next to.

He nodded his head. "Funny thing you parked next to me."

"You got yourself a car? When?" I was just staring at the vehicle. It was an old, used-looking Mercedes, but it looked to be in alright condition. I wasn't complaining.

"Just the other day," he explained to me. "I was going to show you and surprise you with it later today for, you know, our original plans. Guess that's not happening anymore, is it?"

I let out a laugh. "Sorry. Well, hey, good for you," I said. After he smirked at me with the cute little smirk he does, we both got inside, me getting myself cozily situated in. I made a small comment. "Not bad."

"Of course it ain't bad," he stated proudly, looking around in satisfaction at his ride. I only shook my head at him, stifling a chuckle, when he asked me something next. "Did you bring a swim suit?"

"No," I immediately answered. "I thought we could just go play in the water and get our feet wet. Just wanted to make this a small thing, doesn't have to be a big deal. If that's cool with you and all."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever, you know?" he responded.

I nudged him in the arm. "Well, what are we waiting for then? Let's get going."

~♥♥♥~

The place we chose to go was called the Lake St. Clair (Metro Beach) Metropark up in Harrison Township. It wasn't too far or anything since it was just a twenty minute drive away. And it was maybe one of the best places for outdoor fun in this area.