CHAPTER XII

CHAPTER XII
The sun was setting slowly on the Mushroom Kingdom. The fair started, and the citizens enjoyed the wonders it offered.

Mario was still home, waiting for Bowsette's visit. He promised that he would join us alongside with her as soon as she would arrive. But so far, he had no sign of her. No phone calls, no texting messages, nothing at all.

Mario, dressed casually, sat at the dinner table as his left index finger tapped impatiently on its surface. His head rested on its right fist, looking bored and pessimistic. Bowsette's presence was still ill-welcomed in town. He started thinking that she had a change of heart perhaps. His hand was itching to give her a call, but he would act too forceful to her. Patience was a virtue and he made a strong effort to uphold it, especially for a dame that never went on a date before. He had to be the perfect gentleman for her.

A knock was heard from the door. Excitement and relief showed on Mario's face. He hasted himself to answer the door.

"Hey there! I thought that you'd cancel—"

Upon seeing her in his door frame, Master Mario froze. Her wine-red burgundy dress, the natural features she bore, her timid face that glowed, her lips that carried crimson lipstick, her hair that were straightened and her eyes that shined softly like pure sapphires: his heart thought it would stop beating through an explosion.

Bowsette was already someone known to be beautiful, despite her nature. But this person standing in front of Mario was nothing short of a celestial marvel.

"S-sorry," she said, looking apologetic. "I took too long with my hair."

Mario still could not speak of word. His reaction was understandable. He had never faced such wonder to his eyes. His entire self willed to find a word to describe her level of beauty, but failed.

"Damn it! Say something!" Bowsette was flustered, embarrassed by his silence.

"You..." he finally said, being snapped back to reality. "You're an angel!"

Her smile, though timid, rose to her lips, happy of the compliment that she had just received. She nodded as she looked down, too shy to look at him.

"I wish I could-a have worn something nicer..." Mario said disappointed of his allure. "Maybe I should change."

"No, no, no!" Bowsette stopped him. "You look fine! You do, trust me! You're actually cuter in casual clothing."

She put her hand in front of her mouth realizing her words. She had just called him cute. The word's effect had already taken Mario's heart. His reddening face was pleased by its sound.

"EEERRR!" Embarrassment took her over. "Yeah, well, I mean! We should go! Everybody's waiting!"

"Oh! R-right! I completely forgot about-a the others!"

Slowly but surely, the usual train of conversation returned on the road to the fair between the Koopa princess and our famous hero. It was hard for Mario to gaze at her without feeling his heart almost bursting out of his chest. If she had such effect on him, I wondered how it would be onto the townspeople.

That mystery was quickly answered when they finally arrived.

Of course, everyone knew that Mario was walking next to Princess Bowsette; the dragon-like tail and horns was an instant giveaway. But it did not matter; her radiance had struck everyone like it did Mario. Voices and expressions were in awe to the wonder she had become. It was as if the shadow of her evil self had never existed. The aura that she projected put many, if not all people at ease.